Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twist while extruding

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Helmi74
17123 Views, 14 Replies

Twist while extruding

I didn't need that for quite a while but I was quite sure we already had some easy twist option in Fusion360?

I'm talking about simply twisting a shape while extruding it. I thought it was in the sweep command but I don't seem to find it anymore.

Is my memory just wrong? I know you can like twist after creating a t-spline but this in my case is much more complicated.

Thanks,

Frank

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Helmi74

I think it is Sweep with Path and Guide rail.

Message 3 of 15
CarlFrischmuth
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Loft with rails also works

Message 4 of 15
michallach81

Tool choice depends on what type of control you need. It maybe a sweep with the use of coil, sweep with splain as a rail, loft, loft with rails... many.

Simplest approach:

extwithtw.gif

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 5 of 15
Helmi74
in reply to: michallach81

Thanks Michal,

gotta find the way with most control afterwards in terms of height, amount of revolutions etc.

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

In other CAD programs I have used in the past, I have seen helix listed under the extrusion options.  This would be very helpful here also, and make it much simpler to be able to define a base plane and extrude it with a helix!  Great potential for an update in the future.  I myself tried a way that works but takes a vast amount of computing power.  Draw a thin slice, around .001 thick, copy and rotate it, and do this over and over until the desired height is reached.  If you go very large with it, it takes a beast of a computer though!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

did you ever find a way to control the number of revs here?

Message 8 of 15
chrisplyler

You can just do a simple Sweep with a Path. No need for rails. Once you choose the Profile and the Path, some additional options become available on the Sweep dialog box. One of them is Twist Angle.

sweep twist angle.JPG

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Is it possible to manufacture this model on a 3+ 1 axis machine? Fusion's support of 4th axis work seems pathetic. 

Message 10 of 15
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

I do not know. I am not a machinist.

Message 11 of 15

Cheers for that, Exactly what I was looking for.

Been trying to create a rifled gun barrel, and was struggling to get rifling to rotate using sweep.

I had no idea that there were extra options in sweep that didn't show up until you tried to edit the feature.

How dumb is that? Why aren't they there to start with?

Many thanks, I can start gluing my hair back in now, Haha! 🙂

Message 12 of 15

@andromeda.star wrote:

I had no idea that there were extra options in sweep that didn't show up until you tried to edit the feature.

How dumb is that? Why aren't they there to start with?

Many thanks, I can start gluing my hair back in now, Haha! 🙂

It shows when you create the feature but not until you select the path. Also it will depend on what other setting you choose. It will not show with for example it's not available if you use path + guide rail or if you set orientation to parallel. The dialog changes to match your selection.

This is what you should get while creating the sweep as soon as you select the path.

image.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

so it's not twisting for me... can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 15
wmhazzard
in reply to: Anonymous

For some reason it won't twist with the center hole. Make it solid and it should twist and then cut the center hole out afterwords. 

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: wmhazzard

wow thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report