Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorials for Dimensions and Tools

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
848 Views, 8 Replies

Tutorials for Dimensions and Tools

I have watched a number of tutorials and can never seem to get the same behaviour in F360! I'm new to CAD in general but the following seem to elude me and I would have thought simple functions:

1. I can add dimensions in a sketch but once extruded I seem unable to change them again (for example I want to make the hole in the middle of this sketch smaller by 0.5mm all round (http://a360.co/2CrCAfM)
  2. Ultimately I want to design a new dashboard facia for my car and I want to make a tool?! for the switch holes so I can use it multiple times/tweak if incorrect. Which tutorials should I be watching to learn how to do this please?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Anonymous

It's the way you did it that's making it not work like you wont it to.

A simple object like what you are making only needs a couple of sketches.

If you do the first sketch like the attached pick it makes it a lot easier to control the size of the object.

What is sketch the outside to the size you think you wont then do a offset sketch for the rectangle to the size you think you wont. If the inside sketch is to be an offset sketch from one side you just sketch a rectangle and diamention it in so it is where you think you wont it to be.

first.png  

Dimensioned inside rectangle.

secondd.png

Then you just extrude it up to the height you think you wont.

333333.png

Then for the sketch for the side hole do it on the inside face.

4444444444444.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 9
daniel_lyall
in reply to: daniel_lyall

put the pentagon where you wont it to be then diamention it in so it locks it in position.

5555555555555555555.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 4 of 9
daniel_lyall

Once the sketch is in places use the hole tool to make your hole the center point of the pentagon is all you need to use to places the hole.

6666666666666666.png

Then when that is done extrude the octagon to the depth you think you wont.

777777777777777777.png 

Now put the fillets in to the size you think you wont.

888888888888888888.png

Now why I say to the size you think you wont, it is just simply you can do the model to a close measurement when you do it or to a exact size when you do it, that's up to you how you do it. 

I have not done the example quite correctly, this is where RULE 1 comes in to play https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-your-tips-and-tutorials/fusion-360-r-u-l-e-1-and-2/td-p/6581749

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 5 of 9
daniel_lyall

Here's a Screencast showing a good way for you to edit the model, an a example is attached.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks, where I get stuck though is after I extrude (step 3) - if I know what to go back and change the size from 2.00mm to 2.50mm the dimensions are gone and if I try to re-add it just says they are over constrained. Am I missing an option to view dimensions?

Message 7 of 9
TheCADWhisperer

@jakeCRW5U wrote:

...can never seem to get the same behaviour in F360!

If I create a video that answers your question for all time - are you willing to follow my instructions?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I figured it out - the step I was missing was editing the sketch, I was clicking onto the face and expecting that to edit

Message 9 of 9
TheCADWhisperer

I think you might also benefit from investigation of the BORN Technique if you want absolutely predictable and robust models.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report