Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Do - - - > Constraint - Square inside Rectangles

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
delaing
373 Views, 10 Replies

Trying to Do - - - > Constraint - Square inside Rectangles

I am trying to sketch a dimensioned rectangle to be centered inside a second dimensioned rectangle using constraints. Yesterday, I was attempting to use the focus-to-midpoint-Shift key trick/method which is outlined in various tutorials and in a post reply by @jhackney1972 , but I cannot get it to work.

Here is a link to his cast showing the approach.

I am receiving error messages, when selecting a rectangle side - "Constraint has already been applied".

What am I not understanding?

Thanks in advance,

Delain

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
davebYYPCU
in reply to: delaing

"Constraint has already been applied".

You can't do it twice....

Message 3 of 11
delaing

I guess I wasn't clear with my problem.

In John's cast tutorial, he receives the same error since there are already constraints existing for his rectangles. That is not the issue.

Trying to duplicate his actions with using H/V constraint to move the square to be centered by holding the Shift key to find midpoints and then move the square - - does not seem to be allowed when I'm trying to do it.

Message 4 of 11
delaing

Here is another explanation of this approach to centering a rectangle inside another. See Message #3 where @FrankCao lays out his solution.

I cannot make the Shift action work.

Message 5 of 11
davebYYPCU

Until you supply your data, we can't explain it for you.

Message 6 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 7 of 11
delaing

Shift will reveal/show the target's midpoint, but the attempt to apply the H/V constraint (as outlined in the mentioned solutions) fails to work.

Attached is a simple file with two rectangles sketched. Attempting to constrain the smaller to the larger so the smaller is centered within the larger.

Message 8 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

Can you create a Screencast Recording of your steps? 

Something like this ->>https://autode.sk/35i8WfW

Message 9 of 11
delaing

@TheCADWhisperer 

Good grief!!!

One simple oversight on my part when reading/watching the other solutions.

So I was not holding down Shift prior to picking the first line of the smaller rectangle. I picked the line first, then held Shift when hovering over the second rectangle's line, thinking I was trying to reveal that one's midpoint.

I should be kicked out of the Fusion 360 Operator's Union for that.

Good grief!!!

Thank you Top Daug for making the cast to show me my oversight. Thank you!!!!

Delain

Message 10 of 11
jhackney1972

You need to watch my Screencast a couple more times.  It distinctly points out that you need to hold the shift key as you are trying to hover over the line to find the midpoint.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 11 of 11
delaing

@jhackney1972 

Yes, and I mentioned, I missed the simple point of holding Shift prior to picking the first line of the square/rectangle.

Thank you,

Delain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report