Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Creating a Shell with a Loft

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1224 Views, 15 Replies

Trouble Creating a Shell with a Loft

I created a lofted object.  It will not respond to the shell command.  I can not select the object when the shell window is open.  No error message.  It is a simple form.  No cuts, sections or additional features.  Thanks.    

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

I think the model is attached.  I have not done this before.  

Message 4 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

You have a Surface Body, not a Solid Body.

Perhaps Thicken is what you want.  (see attached file)

Actually, after taking a second look - I recommend that you go through the Tutorials and then come back and try this part again.

Your Sketch1 is not fully defined?

Your geometry lacks symmetry that I would expect to see.

I can't help but wonder if a simple Revolve of a single circle would return the geometry that you need.

Bulging.png

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Is there a way to convert a surface body to a solid body?  I am looking for a uniform wall thickness.  

I have been through quite a few tutorials.  Which ones do you recommend for this problem?

What do you mean by "not fully defined"?   This is a test run.  Most of the features after the history marker are obsolete.  

I can fix the symmetry.  The edit form command is not always consistent.  I may have to mirror one good side to get a match.  How would i produce the bulge by revolving a single circle? 

Thank you.   

Message 6 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Is there a way to convert a surface body to a solid body?

2. What do you mean by "not fully defined"?  

3. How would i produce the bulge by revolving a single circle? .   

1. See the file that I attached.  Thicken will convert from surface to solid.

2. I can drag geometry all over the screen.  As a machinist - first thing I expect is absolute datums.

3. I assumed the bulge was an anomaly since it was not symmetric.  But how would the mold for this be made in the real world. Could this be a combination of a torus section and a sphere?

As a machinist - I try to design for manufacturability (but it might have been hand made "art").

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

1.  Thicken seems to work.  Why does thicken work and not the shell command?  

2.  The distances to the origin are correct.  I have trouble telling when a dimension is locked.  

3.  The bulge is intentional and will be controlled.  It is not spherical.  The spline is also not a single radius.  

4. For manufacturing, think castings, which we have used, and forming dies which we are designing.  

Are there problems with lofted models?  According to the tutorials, I should be able to modify this like any other model.  I have tried to extend tangents on either end of the elbow and they are distorted or incomplete.  There are many other features which need to be added to this shape.  Their form and locations are critical.  So far this is not user friendly.  

Message 8 of 16
JDMather

BbrownME1 wrote:

So far this is not user friendly.  

I would expect significant training/experience before tackling what I think is the geometry that you are after.

Sketch1 is particularly troubling to my way of modeling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

2.  The distances to the origin are correct.  I have trouble telling when a dimension is locked.  

I use the Origin as my dimension datum - just like out on the shop floor on lathe or mill.  The first thing I do is establish 0,0,0.

Turn on your sound to see the issue that I am seeing with Sketch1.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

The straight lines you see are reference locations for future features that have not been added yet.  Feel free to change them to reference lines and constrain them if it helps or erase them.  

The spline is not a radius.  It is a specific arc and the curve changes continually.  (26.865 along one axis, 23.1 along the other.)    I can assure you that we can set up the machine to produce this part.  It is creating an accurate model that is the problem.  

Message 11 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

I do not see a spline in Sketch1.

I do see an arc with a radius of 26.836621518

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Recheck the dimension at different points on the curve. It should not be a fixed radius.  If it is, I will have to correct it.  

Message 13 of 16
davebYYPCU

Back to thicken / shell question, 

the modelling area area is for solid models, the patch area for surfaces, and are sort of task specific, 

both areas can be accessed at any time, for the job to be done, but the shell command is not available in the Patch menus, and only creates consistent wall thickness from a solid.  

The thicken command is available in both menu sets, saves a bit of area swapping, or some flexibility.

Might help...

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks.  My first test, I created a cylinder and used shell.  It worked perfectly.  When I go to sculpt, is that actually under patch?  

Message 15 of 16
davebYYPCU

T-Splines are hybrid

Has its own area, similar to sketches, edits are inside the box, when you close the box, it is available in other areas.

By hybrid I mean, that they create either, solid or surface, if a form body is closed it will be solid, if it is not a closed body it will be a surface.

I have thought of exceptions but that is the generally speaking description.

Message 16 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

Recheck the dimension at different points on the curve. It should not be a fixed radius.  If it is, I will have to correct it.  

In 30+ years of working with geometry - I have never seen an arc with more than one radius. It is what it is. Doesn't matter where I check - the radius is the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report