Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimming a Body

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
andrewhoodless
1321 Views, 14 Replies

Trimming a Body

Hello All,

I have a bit of an issue here. I'd like to trim this intersection of bodies and remove the highlighted area back to the inner contour. Unfortunately it is as one body after I joined them some time back.

Any suggestions how I could do this ?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Can you File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here?

Will Split Face and Delete Face return the results you are after?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewhoodless

Hey there @andrewhoodless

You could go back in your timeline to where you joined them.

Alternatively you could easily section the main body with the Split body option in the patch menu, then simply delete the new body (Highlighted one)

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 15
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymouswrote:

Alternatively you could easily section the main body with the Split body option .....

Pretty sure that is not what I would do.

Looking forward to your demonstration of this proposed technique when the OP attaches the *.f3d file.

Message 5 of 15

OK, so here is the .f3d file. You should be able to see the protruding piece from the 2D picture if needed.

Surely it must be able to be trimmed away. I tried a couple of the split commands but couldn't get it to work as I wanted.

P.S I'm wanting to print this on a 3D printer. I hope the wall thickness is enough.

Message 6 of 15
etfrench

Here's one way to do it:

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

99516c8c-3eff-46a5-b76c-146a4b8cc307

p.s. 3mm thickness will print with no problem, but the model has a lot of unsupported bridging which your slicer may not be able to handle.  You may have to create custom supports.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
andrewhoodless
in reply to: etfrench

Cool !! I did think of doing it something like that but thought there must be a function which could do it almost at a click of a button. Like a trim excess feature. Perhaps that the model walls are joined then this is the way to do it for now.

Will see what the other guys come up with. 🙂

Thanks.

Message 8 of 15
etfrench

Editing the post removed the screencast.  Here it is again.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 15

I would still be interested in the "split face" solution as I think the final issue I have "around the corner" would be easiest if the planes (following blue wall) could trim that piece coming into the interior.

I guess I am going to need to unlink them in the history tree somehow.

Message 10 of 15

@andrewhoodlesswrote:

I would still be interested in the "split face" solution ....

See attached.

In Rev2 example I noticed that there is another face that is extraneous and can be deleted.

This could be removed with the original Delete Face in Rev1, but I did it as a separate Delete Face in Rev2 so that you could more easily discover what I did.

Message 11 of 15

In Rev3 I remove your previous Split Body and replace with Split Face.

Tidy everything together into one Delete Face to clean up the geometry.

Message 12 of 15

Turn on your sound.

Message 13 of 15

Awesome CADWhisperer !!! That's great !! Definitely something which I can use more often to tidy things up.

The video is certainly a great help !

I feel I have a lot of sketches as I'm going along, and it's a messy model, but I guess that's how it goes when you're starting.

Message 14 of 15

@andrewhoodlesswrote:

I feel I have a lot of sketches as I'm going along, and it's a messy model, but I guess that's how it goes when you're starting.

I always consider my first attempt (or two or three) to be trials, and then use what I learned from the attempts to start over from scratch and create a clean and robust model.

I look back at stuff I did a year ago (month, week, hour?) and shudder at the rubbish I did back then.

Message 15 of 15

Hi CADWhisperer,

I have trimmed and modified the back side to a straight wall. I have 2 issues now,

1). I see there are some strange lines which I can't seem to delete. See picture circled.

2). I have an extra fixing rib which I no longer need on this corner version. Can't seem to delete it either ? (see picture)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report