Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torx T20 specification?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
HughesTooling
2627 Views, 6 Replies

Torx T20 specification?

Anyone know where I can get full specs for Torx drive sockets? I found details for Go\No Go gauges here, but not sure that's helpful. I also downloaded a screw from McMaster Carr but it doesn't look right if I make sketches using the Go\NoGo info.

You can see the Go sketch creates overlaps and wouldn't fit into the socket

image.png

I have created a sketch that fits between the Go and No Go sketches but not sure it's correct or good enough. See attached design. I've just extruded the socket form to use in a Combine Cut later in the design. I've just played around with the small fillet rad to make something that fits. I only have Od of 3.95mm and Id of 2.85 that's fixed from the specs.

image.png

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MRWakefield
in reply to: HughesTooling

Here's a link to ISO-10664 Hexalobular internal driving feature for bolts and screws that I've just found by Googling. I'm sure this shouldn't be available for free but there it is! At the end of the document you'll find a drawing of a "Representation of hexalobular internal driving feature contour". I've not checked but I expect this falls between the Go and Not Go gauge profiles you already have.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 3 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: MRWakefield

@MRWakefield  Thanks for finding that. I did find the same doc in Russian but wasn't sure it was what I needed. Still not sure, when I put those numbers in, see below with just the No Go sketch activated.

image.png

The info in the document I linked and the one you linked match for manufacture of the gauges and there is a small overlap but 0.008mm at the points seems a bit optimistic!

image.png

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
MRWakefield

Hmmm... yes, 8 microns is a bit tight! I wasn't sure whether that drawing was nominal or just a guide. If I manage to find anything else I'll let you know.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 5 of 7
chrisplyler
in reply to: MRWakefield

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect that the only source for the actual dimensions of the patented tool is the patent holder and whomever else that patent holder has licensed to.

Other, very SIMILAR hexeglobular drive/socket pairs may have been developed by others via reverse engineering (measuring), but they wouldn't know the actual, original spec.

My suggestion is, since you're basically doing the same thing, to just make it slightly smaller so you have the greatest likelihood of your drive fitting most any socket head you come across. Sure, you might experience slightly accelerated wear and slightly lower max torque delivery, but my guess is that you'll get through life just fine with it.

Like I said, this is just a guess. I could be way off base.

Message 6 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: chrisplyler

Looks like the patent ran out in 1998 so I should be OK copying. I think I'll go for the sizes from the last page of the PDF @MRWakefield  posted. There's only 0.04mm perside between the go, no go gauges so not much to play with.

I'd made a mistake in my last post as I'd forgot to change the small radius to 0.1 of the outside diameter, looks better now.

This shows the size at the points for go, no go.

image.png

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
MRWakefield

Ah yes, that looks better.

What I discovered was that it appears to have been invented by Camcar Textron back in the late 60's and that the patent ran out some time in the 90's. As far as I can tell the ISO published it as a standard in the late 90's, around the time of the expiration of the patent. Anyway, I'm glad it helped.

Marcus Wakefield

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report