Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Little Questions On Sketch

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
lure23
1002 Views, 10 Replies

Three Little Questions On Sketch

Since my sketch doesn't seem to be working any more (= nothing moves), here is a collection of three basic issues I am aiming at. Help appreciated.

sketch qs.png

1. Can I get rid of that unnecessary origin marker? How?

2. Can I make a line have a length constraint? 

3. Can I have an arc and a line move as one?

What I'm trying to reach here is that the left end point of line (2) would rotate around the largest circle (but not stretch in length), being constrained by the smallest circle, would cause the arc (3) to move around the 2nd largest circle, without touching it.

The Sketch environment shows a lot of promise to this kind of simple, 2d movement design. I think it would be remarkable if it can be used (actually, it feels like a CAD-in-CAD to me). If the above is not yet doable, I would change this to particular feature requests. But first, I must understand current Sketch mode way better.

Thanks,

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
lure23
in reply to: lure23

A fourth:

q4.png

4. Constraining a line to always go through a certain point.

I can emulate this by making a very tiny circle, and using the tangential constraint on it. What I'm basically suggesting is applying 'tangential' to a point.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 3 of 11
schneik-adsk

You can make a line coincident to a point. This makes the line always pass through the point.
Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 11
lure23
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Yes, but I also want the point to remain fixed. The line should move "through" it without the point itself moving.

Using 'coincident' constraint grabs the point onto the line, and the point starts moving if the line moves.

Can post a video if needed to clarify the difference.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 5 of 11
lure23

The problem here might be that I'm using Sketch to actually test out something dynamic. It's like using joints in here, and - I know - it's stretching the envelope. However, Sketch mode is almost there and I can imagine being able to do this kind of dynamic sketching would be useful for others also.

What I mean by dynamic sketching is setting constraints, seeing how the system behaves in 2D, and finding optimum positioning for certain objects. The alternative workflow would have this done "elsewhere", then taken to Sketch mode with precise (non-moving) measurements.

Is Sketch intended to be useful the way I'm pushing it? I don't want full joints.

Addon: here's a video on "almost there". I made a very small circle which is fixed, and the line passes nicely through it. The problem is the line grows and shrinks while this happens (I'd like to fix its length).

videopic.png  

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 6 of 11
schneik-adsk

Create an aligned sketch dimension on the line. Edit the dimension to set its length.
Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 11
lure23

That's brilliant, Kevin.

Had seen the 'Sketch Dimension' but didn't expect one can fix sizes with it. Really cool (my circle sizes got fixed now which would have been a new request).

But... I cannot figure out how to make the restriction 'aligned' along the length of the line. X and Y component restrictions I can create. (Will read the reference page tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.)

One more Tiny Thing:

- Wouldn't it make sense to allow moving i.e. a center point even if it is marked as 'fixed'. The 'fixed' should matter only for degree-of-freedom calculations and in relationship to other objects getting moved. Now it also prohibits the *user* from moving the center point, like grounding does in 3d side. To move a point, one currently must unfix (and then refix) the point. (video)

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Remove constraints... Constraints tend to cause chain reactions while moving things around.

AutoDesk uses AutoCad IP to drive the sketch environment... so it's engineering centric (predetermined exacting), as opposed to design centric (immediate and freeform).

The Sketch environment is misnamed as ACTUALLY quite unlike gestural sketching... it's fussy and does not suffer redfining without difficulty.

"Sketch" on paper... thats what napkins are for.

Message 9 of 11
schneik-adsk
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no AutoCAD IP in the sketch environment.
That said it is a completely new constraint solver and we are working hard to make it reliable and easy to use.
Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 11
lure23

Kevin, I still don't know the trick to make the dimension 'aligned' = to fix the length of a line.

The reference page doesn't mention it either (imho the reference pages can be terminated).

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/ENU/Fusion-360/files/GUID-06B0BD7E-AF9B-47A3-BC1E-E098CF7F72AE.ht...

Some observations:

sketch dimensions.png

The 'Sketch Dimensions' naming is imho bad. It repeats the 'Sketch' word unnecessarily. It maked me think it's a measuring tool when in fact it's also all about constraints. 'Dimension Constraints' or 'Fix Dimensions' would imho be better.

Deleting Dimension Constraints

Took me a while to figure this. Within Sketch mode there are Dimension mode and Constraints mode (both dealing with constrains). In order to i.e. remove a set dimension, one needs to exit the Dimension mode first. This is done by pressing 'esc'.

On the video you can see that I first tried switching Dimensions mode by clicking its enabled icon. Thought that would work (why doesn't it?). Only then tried 'esc'. Actual removal of the dimension by selection and backspace.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 11 of 11
Oceanconcepts

A plus to Asko's comments.  In trying to design parts with moving elements, buttons, levers, lids that need to come off, it would be incredibly useful to have minimal joint like functions in the 2D sketch environment.  Then when I go into the more freeform "designer" mode, I can have a reference that tells me if what I'm designing will actually work- how big I need to design to have clearance, for instance. I had thought something like this was planned for Fusion?  I've been able to fake this to some extent, and there are probably many possibilities I am missing.  

I have to design from the inside out, around fixed components, so the inner layer is all about precision. Then I have more latitude when it comes to control points, buttons, etc- but they still need to interact properly with the underlying hardware, have a reasonable range of motion and travel, etc.- some latitude, but within limits.  Then the outer layer that is more about appearance and ergonomics can be more open ended- kind of decreasing levels of constraints. The earlier in the process I can nail down where my limits are, the easier it is to design. 

Would love to see more discussion on this topic. The sketch environment has been for me one of the harder areas to get ahold of the interface.

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report