Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thicken uniform shape

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cristianeduardo.urra
225 Views, 3 Replies

Thicken uniform shape

Dear friends, I hope you can help me. I am trying to make a two-part housing, which will contain an electronic system inside. It is made from curves with the Loft command. The problem is that I need to add a thickness of 10-20 mm but as it is an irregular shape I get an error.
I tried to make the same shape with T-spline menu but when I add the thickness they intersect with a bad shape.
A third way I tried is to duplicate the body and scale it and then combine both bodies to make the cut, however when scaled it is not regular in shape.
Could someone help me to solve this headache please?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

One possible solution would be to stitch the surfaces together to make a solid then try the shell command.  

Based only on the screenshare, I have some comments:

- you should try to work with design history on.

- your splines have way too many points,  I'm sure the curvature combs look like doo-doo, which is likely causing issues.  learn to use fewer points but manipulate the handles( green lines) to get the curves you want.

-  I'm not sure if the shape you got was the design intent or not,  but when lofting, it is generally better to select the edges and not the sketch for your profile. this way you will have the option to use tangency(G1) or curvature (G2)to build the lofts rather than simple connection (G0).   you can do this by turning off the visibility on the sketches temporarily while selecting edges. 

Message 3 of 4

I am assuming the reason you are working with the design history turned off is because you imported geometry.

With imported geometry the timeline is turned off by default. There are good reasons for that.

As a beginner you should not work with the timeline disabled  and should have turned the timeline on after import.

It is difficult to assess how you have created the lofts.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4

Hi Folks,

When Thicken or Shell fails, it is likely due to high curvature area or some short edges. Or, the geometry is too complex. A simple trick can overcome the failure. Simply make a copy of the body. Next scale the copy body a little bit (>1.0 for outward shell; <1.0 for inner shell). Depending on the body location, you may need to move the scaled body a bit so it is centered at the original body. Lastly, use Combine -> Cut to remove the unwanted portion.

The exact scale factor to use requires a bit trial and error. You may be able to find the right factor by measuring the body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report