Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thicken not good

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
danielND6TD
454 Views, 5 Replies

Thicken not good

Hello.

The problema is when is use the thickness tool, in the corner in front of the ships`s hull dont make the thicknes like in the two corners oof the back. The thickness of the front is rounded, and the thickness of the back are perpendicular and square.

Captura.PNG

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: danielND6TD

thanks for sharing that model.  Let me send this to our modeling kernel team to take a look to see if this is a bug or some other explanation.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 6
danielND6TD
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks! Is very important to me to undertand this strange behavior of the tool. I think it`s related with the way of make the loft of the surface. I need a correct behavior off the thickness.

Message 4 of 6

@danielND6TD wrote:

I think its related with the way of make the loft of the surface. 

Correct! The thicken tool cannot work correctly exactly because you are lofting into a singularity.

Lofting creates NURBS surfaces. The shape of NURBS surfaces is governed by a quad mesh of control vertices.

When lofting into a single pointing the CVs (control vertices) of that mesh collapse into that single point, the singularity.

That's why the thickening tool does not work. I used a higher end CAD software to visualize the arrangement of the CVs. As can be seen that application also thickens the same way Fusion 360 does it. 

Lofting_into_singulatity.PNGlofting_into_singularity_II.PNG

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: danielND6TD

Also, looking at your splines from sketch 1 and 2 with the curvature combs turned on, you can see that you end up with a very high rate of curvature right at the ends.  first pic is your curve, second pic is after I fiddled with the tangent handle.  doing this for the spline in sketch 1 and 2 resulted in the model you see in the third pic (and attached.) 

As a side note-In general, your using to many control points on your splines.spline curvature.JPGbetter curvature.JPGresult.JPG

Message 6 of 6
danielND6TD
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thanks so mcuh. Now i have a more perfect design.

But i want to make the two profiles of the loft perpendicular, but i cant chose in both "direction"...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report