Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Helix on an incline

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sEk8kOil5I
370 Views, 6 Replies

Tapered Helix on an incline

Hi,  I'm hoping to build the ramp in the attached image, which is a leaning and tapering helix. I've watched several videos including LEAD "How to make any tapered coil," which I found very useful and Kristian_Laholm, "Sweep along helix" (also helpful) on producing a helix using surface modelling and the coil but haven't been able to figure out how to do this on an incline. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: sEk8kOil5I

Like this?

etfrench_0-1716270162550.png

This is just a Surface sweep at an angle:

etfrench_1-1716270373312.png

The inner and outer faces of a Solid workspace cone were use in a Split Body command to make the thin helix:

etfrench_2-1716270497004.png

If you want the path to be flatter, then change the angle of the helix path to be vertical:

etfrench_3-1716271319999.png

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
sEk8kOil5I
in reply to: etfrench

Thank you for your reply! Yes, that is what I would like to do and would prefer the flatter path!

I tried the solution but was unable to produce the same result. I have attached a screen recording of my attempt. I think I am missing a step or I have misunderstood the steps you outlined. Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

thanks again for your help

Message 4 of 7
etfrench

The missing step is using a wider profile, then using the cone to remove the excess.

etfrench_0-1716314108460.png

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
sEk8kOil5I
in reply to: etfrench

Thank you! I got it to work!

Message 6 of 7
laughingcreek

I imagine if this is related in any way to architecture, in addition to a flat walk way, you would want a constant slope.  see if the attached doesn't work better for you-

laughingcreek_0-1716573355959.png

Message 7 of 7
sEk8kOil5I
in reply to: laughingcreek

Wow, thank you so much! That is a much better solution and gives me a lot of control over various parameters. I just tested it using the settings I needed for slope, diameter, height and the number of revolutions. So easy now to explore variations. I would have never figured it out. Great to learn a new method.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report