Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangency and Perpendicularity to Spline at Point

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dtruong0131
278 Views, 6 Replies

Tangency and Perpendicularity to Spline at Point

I would like to see the ability to add tangent and perpendicularity constraints to arbitrary points along splines. We can make geometry tangent and perpendicular to tangent handles on fit point splines, but we should be able to do this along the entire length, and control point splines offer no such luxury. There are roundabout ways to accomplish this, but they require leaving the sketch environment and using hacky surface modeling tricks to establish normal vectors.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SaeedHamza
in reply to: dtruong0131

This is an interesting topic, could you please elaborate more on how would you benefit from achieving such controls? an example would be very helpful.

Because you've mentioned "establish normal vectors", and that got my attention.

Message 3 of 7
etfrench

Try this:

1. Offset spline.
  2. Put arbitrary point coincident to spline.
  3. Draw circle with center coincident to offset spline.
  4. Add coincident constraint between circle and point.

etfrench_0-1706036224571.png

Plane on path would be the most accurate method.

Actually, if you drag the circle, you'll find two valid solutions to the constraints.  Bisecting the angle should give an accurate line perpendicular to the plane at a point.  Note: The purple projected line is from a Plane on Path.

etfrench_0-1706037109233.png

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
dtruong0131
in reply to: etfrench

There are ways to accomplish the task, but they all require more steps than should be necessary. This is an example of that.

Message 5 of 7
dtruong0131
in reply to: SaeedHamza

I don't have a particular use case for this at the moment, as I mostly avoid sketching splines whenever possible. I think I avoid them because it's annoying to constrain them, especially tangentially to circles or ellipses. I recall a project I was working on a couple of years ago where I was trying to do this, figured out a workaround, and went with that, but I was annoyed at how roundabout the solution had to be because tangency to a spline at a point and sketching lines normal to a spline at a point should be built-in as it is with arcs.

Message 6 of 7
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr. Dtruong0131,  Fellows,

The theme "Tangency and Perpendicularity to Spline at Point" ... is popular on this Forum, like 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd. It is timeless.

There are many posts about the subject, including mine.

As for the future generations of Fusionates, and those unfortunate with geometrical dementia ...

A spline in 3D has one tangent line at a point and infinite normal lines perpendicular to it.

You will find some solutions here (and certainly in many other posts)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/invincible-tangent-line/m-p/11828219

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/how-to-constrain-a-line-so-that-it-is-norm...

Some time ago, I have started another educational video/post on the subject. Unfortunately (or not), I abandoned it in part due to the difficulty in how F360 handles ellipse-spline-userParameters interplay. In this sense, I agree with the post's author... but for the vast majority of F360 users ... there are solutions to the problem.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 7 of 7
dtruong0131
in reply to: MichaelT_123

I understand how to sketch a tangent line to a spline at a point and how to create a line normal to the spline at a point, but I believe it shouldn't require a roundabout solution; it should be akin to the handling of arcs. I appreciate your reply, though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report