Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweeping a Circle Along a Path

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
mrabushka
515 Views, 15 Replies

Sweeping a Circle Along a Path

I'm trying to sweep the circle notated @ 1 centered along the top surface as noted by the blue arrows to create a round lip similar to what I did notated @ 2, but for some reason what I tried @ 2 is not working for @ 1.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

mrabushka_0-1720067579407.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Drewpan
in reply to: mrabushka

Hi,

I think that the Pipe command is the one you need to use. It takes a line and literally creates a pipe along it. In this

case it may be worth creating a 3D sketch along the actual path, rounding corners manually where necessary and it

should do what you want.

Drewpan_0-1720069150424.png

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 16
mrabushka
in reply to: Drewpan

@Drewpan Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for Fusion to create the path.  Regarding your suggestion to create a 3d sketch along the path, how would you create the sketch with a high degree of accuracy on a convoluted surface as in my example.

Message 4 of 16
Drewpan

Hi,

The picture you posted might look a bit convoluted but it looks to me like it is really a series of lines and curves.

I would select the biggest part that is flat and use that as the surface and create a sketch and then using the known

measurements (I am assuming that if you designed it you know stuff like the radius of the curve at the bottom laces)

and just draw a single line (in 3D) straight down the middle of the flat part. You might have to change where two edges

meet in an angle to a curve but the line itself looks fairly straight forward in the picture. The line would go straight

down the middle where your red arrows are.

Once you have a line that is in the right place then simply use Pipe and it is there. I don't think Sweep is working

because there are angles instead of curves. Maybe it would work if you changed those angles to tangential curves

instead.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 5 of 16
davebYYPCU

You have already created the Path and Guide Rail required, 

Position the circle (or other) profile shape, to engage the top edges of the Shoe.

swpagr1.PNGswpagr.PNG

Select Profile, Path and Guide Rail, press OK.

I put the sketch on the middle of the heel area, but at the beginning of the Path should go right round.

swpagr2.PNG

Might help....

Message 6 of 16
mrabushka
in reply to: davebYYPCU

@davebYYPCU  thank you for the reply.

1. I see a little perpendicular design inside the circle. How did you create that horizontal line so that it snaps to the two edges of the top surface?  When I draw a line from the axes center across the surface at 0 degree it does not snap to the other edge.  Using Project to a 3d surface doesn't facilitate the snap either.

mrabushka_0-1720106023396.png

2. I don't think drawing the line across the surface at 0 degrees (my technique above) and snapping the circle to the mid-point of the line is the correct thing to do anyway because it creates an off center profile as shown below when I sweep it.  Also, starting at the beginning as you suggested only draws the profile part of the way as shown below.  I I drag it further the profile goes out into thin air:

mrabushka_3-1720106581361.png

3. If I drag the plane to the beginning of the path when I create it so the sketch is formed along the leading edge I can use Project to a 3d surface and snap a line to the vertex at both corners; however the resulting profile is still off center and it does not sweep the entire path all the way around. If I drag it further the profile goes out into thin air:

mrabushka_4-1720106979298.pngmrabushka_5-1720107029246.png

mrabushka_8-1720107229895.png

4. Using Path + Guide Rail as you suggest just completely errors out:

mrabushka_9-1720107302032.png

Can you please provide the steps to properly center the circle on the top surface and sweep/guide rail it?

Message 7 of 16
mrabushka
in reply to: Drewpan

@Drewpan This is a solid created from t-splines as shown in the attachment of my first post.  The radius of the curves is not know to me.

Message 8 of 16
davebYYPCU

In reference to the pics and questions, 

When making the profile sketch, (depending on preferences) You can project the end face of the boot body.

That would give you a snapped projected line.  The rest of my t sketch is how I got the circle to be perpendicular above the midpoint of the face.  (Does not happen for my sketch as I am only interested with the 2 body edges.  I Project > Intersected the body edges to snap to.)

You are using the wrong Sweep option, I used Path and Guide Rail, and it behaves.

Might help....

Message 9 of 16
mrabushka

@davebYYPCU I'm redoing my sketch to try to duplicate what you did.  Please let me know which of the below options will project the end face of the shoe body.  Below are my current settings and the face it not projecting on its surface.  Also, by "end face" do you mean the face in the area I marked #1 or the area I marked #2 or ???  By the way you'll see I did try Path and Guide Rail in the last example of my previous post and got an error.  Hopefully, once I get the sketch right everything will work.  Looking forward to your reply.

mrabushka_0-1720153280067.png

mrabushka_1-1720152221286.png

Message 10 of 16
davebYYPCU

Ok, those preferences are all Ok, I turn some off, but only to suit me, 

I checked the file again and see that you can't put a sketch on the end face of the shoe we are talking about.

So you have to make the profile sketch plane by selecting the 2 body edges, top one and one of the side edges.

mpwtl.PNG

Then you should get where you want to be.

Message 11 of 16
TrippyLighting

I would not use a sketch based approach.

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
mrabushka

@davebYYPCU I cannot select the edges you are showing.  They don't highlight when I hove my mouse over them.  Please show snippets of the menus you use.  Also, please let me know how to prevent the shoe body from flying to a different position when I try to create a sketch on a plane.

mrabushka_0-1720208357220.png

Message 13 of 16
TrippyLighting

@mrabushka have you looked at my screencast?

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
mrabushka
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting I'm working through it now.  It looks elegant.  I'll reply shortly.

Message 15 of 16
mrabushka

@TrippyLighting Your solution works.  Thank you!

Message 16 of 16
mrabushka

@davebYYPCU I tried all day yesterday and today to get your solution to work as you can see by my numerous, sometimes lengthy, replies to you; however I could never get it to work.  I appreciate you trying to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report