Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop arrange rotating components?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
charliex2
348 Views, 9 Replies

stop arrange rotating components?

Is there a way to stop arrange from rotating components/bodies? i just want it to arrange everything at the rotation it is currently in and not change it.

cheers

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jhackney1972
in reply to: charliex2

You will have to purchase the Extension. 

Extension.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 10
charliex2
in reply to: jhackney1972

i have to purchase the extension to stop it rotating ?

Message 4 of 10
jhackney1972

That is what the dialog box indicates.  You do have the option of purchasing the Extension for one day, that makes it more practical.  I am a user like you, I do not make the rules.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 10
charliex2
in reply to: jhackney1972

sure i understand what you're sayin, and if we're going that route technically it says paying for it adds rotation, not stops it.

it does seem odd, though i guess its a good way to get people to buy it.. i'll just code up my own nester, thanks though!

cheers

Message 6 of 10
Warmingup1953

Are you nesting for 3D printing?

Message 7 of 10
TrippyLighting

@charliex2 wrote:

.. i'll just code up my own nester, thanks though!

You can arrange that stuff manually. That is probably a lot faster than coding you own nester 😉

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
charliex2
in reply to: Warmingup1953

laser cutting and other things.

Message 9 of 10
charliex2
in reply to: TrippyLighting

naw, there are loads of libraries for nesting and i already pull out all the data for the slicing., just add chatgpt and away you go!

Message 10 of 10
grad2

I have a student who is hand-making a dragon out of slices. I have the education version so I can try all plugins. Using the multiple envelope plugin, I created envelopes that were 11x17.

The objects are flat slices 5mm high on about a 18 in (300mm) high project, so about 60 slices. They are _already_ 10"x16" so that they are a printable rectangle showing the slice. I hit arrange, and they all lay out inside the envelopes. Perfect! However, some are rotated 180 degrees, and they aren't in _order_ from top to bottom or anything like that. 

Now, that part may be an artifact of the way I generated my slices. I create a sketch I call a 'comb' and put a box around the project from the side. Then I create a rectangular box the height of one layer less a little bit, and I rectangular pattern that slicebox upwards so that it covers the entire project, and extrude it through. In this case, the boxes were 4mm and the rectangular pattern was 5mm, so there was a 1mm slice between the layers. I apologize for the dual units, it's the product size it's being made from. 

So when those layers got made, they were made in no discernible order, and as far as I can tell, component creation is order-dependent, so you can't reorder them in the window even if you rename them one by one. 

So issues with arrange -

1) why can't they at least all have the same orientation? I just went through and hand selected them one by one (60 layers), and it lined them up with the same direction as they were selected. 

2) Why isn't there another way to create and _keep_ layers. Sometimes one wants to do some additive style work by hand, writ large. If I had a slicer tool, then I could hopefully label them in an order from top to bottom. 

3) It would be great to be able to emboss a number on every envelope when using multi-envelope. 

4) There should be a way to match the arranged envelopes to PDF pages without having to add each component in the arrange a new sheet in the drawing one at a time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report