Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL to Solid finding radii

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mbarbone
295 Views, 6 Replies

STL to Solid finding radii

Hello,

Was just trying to learn. I converted an STL file to a solid through the Mesh. In the example, there are holes and curves. But if I delete the sections to make a sold model, they lose their curvature. Is there a method to determine the curvature of the area or diameter of the hole ? I created a Hole and eyeballed it and it is close, but not exact. The actual holes are screw holes, so I already know they are M4 screws and could make the holes. But like other curves, etc.

In the example, the right side I "guessed" and eyeballed. The left side is the original...

mbarbone_0-1716750126846.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: mbarbone

You need to attach the STL that you used for this model.  It is hard to guess what you want without the source.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
mbarbone
in reply to: jhackney1972

Sorry about that.

Message 4 of 7
MRWakefield

You could use a 'Mesh Section Sketch' to determine the radius (among other dimensions).

MRWakefield_0-1716820611574.png

EDIT:

In fact I would probably use this method to create the model using basic extrusions etc. rather than converting mesh to a body.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 5 of 7
wersy

wersy_0-1716820482562.png

Now you can simply modify the part as you like.

Message 6 of 7
mbarbone
in reply to: MRWakefield

@MRWakefield 

How did you measure the arc and circle diameters?  Did you just create a circle / arc and then overlay it over the Create mesh result ? To to replicate, I would just overlay sketch objects to match the Mesh result ?

I tried "Fit curves..." but, they are way off.

The imported mesh item, would it import using the original object dimensions instead of the default document dimensions ?
I imported, created, etc. I measure the opening in the actual object I printed, then I measured the opening in the Mesh Sketch -- 86.37 mm.  The object opening measured is 8.8 mm. It seems the created object is sized in cm rather than mm.

mbarbone_0-1717079738083.png

Thanks,

Mike

Message 7 of 7
MRWakefield

@mbarbone wrote:

@MRWakefield 

How did you measure the arc and circle diameters?  Did you just create a circle / arc and then overlay it over the Create mesh result ? To to replicate, I would just overlay sketch objects to match the Mesh result ?

I tried "Fit curves..." but, they are way off.

The imported mesh item, would it import using the original object dimensions instead of the default document dimensions ?
I imported, created, etc. I measure the opening in the actual object I printed, then I measured the opening in the Mesh Sketch -- 86.37 mm.  The object opening measured is 8.8 mm. It seems the created object is sized in cm rather than mm.

mbarbone_0-1717079738083.png

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, I did use the 'Fit Curves to Mesh Section'. Did you select the appropriate 'Fit Curve Type' in the dialogue? For arcs you need to select 'Arc' and direction before selecting the start and end points.

MRWakefield_1-1717080692284.png

#

You can then just add a dimension:

MRWakefield_2-1717080762727.png

For the circles you need to select the 'Circle' fit curve type:

MRWakefield_3-1717080868463.png

You can specify the units of the imported mesh in the 'Insert Mesh' dialogue :

MRWakefield_0-1717080158034.png

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report