Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stl to Brep or stl to T Spline. What is the difference?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
MPD3DI
501 Views, 1 Reply

stl to Brep or stl to T Spline. What is the difference?

I am new netfabb user and am working on the Hip implant file which is in stl format. If i want to do FEA on it, what should be the approach?

Can I directly do fea on stl file like other implicit software can do? Or do i need to convert it in to Brep? Or T Spline?

Thanks in advance.

Pravin

Incredible AM Pvt Ltd India

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TrippyLighting
in reply to: MPD3DI

@MPD3DI wrote:

I am new netfabb user and am working on the Hip implant file which is in stl format. If i want to do FEA on it, what should be the approach?

That depends on what software you intend to use for FEA. Traditionally FEA software prefers a smaller number of large NURBS surfaces often wrapped into a BRep. The Object that undergoes the FEA analysis in the first step goes through a meshing process. That meshing process uses a volumetric and often tetrahedral mesh,  very different from how .stl meshes are generated.

A .stl that is directly converted into a BRep is a highly faceted object and due to that high facet count the meshing phase in FEA software might create an unnecessarily dense volumetric mesh.

A T-spline, on the other hand is an intermediary between a mesh and a BRep that consists of larger NURBS surfaces. That may to may not lead to better FEA results.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report