Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL file import for sculpting edit?

173 REPLIES 173
SOLVED
Message 1 of 174
Anonymous
12013 Views, 173 Replies

STL file import for sculpting edit?

i have built a model in another design program and exported as stl, now i import stl into fusion,can i edit it using the sculpting workspace?

Capture.JPG

173 REPLIES 173
Message 21 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: cekuhnen

If your looking to keep the detail of the mesh you can cube cut your model and get fusion to convert the cubes as I have done . My processes is time consuming and cpu heavy but works . but insta mesh is nice for low poly models and rescultping . 

Message 22 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

as I have done . My processes?
am i missing something you referring of from ?
Message 23 of 174
Anonymous
Message 24 of 174
Anonymous

i guess my question can be solved if i get to understand what can be done with what ever styles fusion offers "brep, body, and so on" i noticed that i see next to my model a purple logo then i see yellow one or white blocks which are usually next to body type or the white cylinder and so
Message 25 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

this body had something like 5k and i still cant do squat with it,

notice i ave 3  of the same model which means if you look at the tree i have abody and brep ? and a component and  i cant sketch on any of the 3 model faces or edit form on that one make soly for sculpting so whats the deal ?

Capture.PNG

Message 26 of 174
Anonymous

woman holding a ball v2.jpgbrake the body in to parts  in different files and do what your going to do and then assemble in a master file . I am working on a daz3d model right now and I am pushing the limit of a pc with 16 gb of ram .  

so take the most left or the center model allone . then go in to sculpt mode  and go to the bodys in the tree drop down the bodys tab. Selecte all  but the top master body and right click to find convert . when you get the convert dialog use the mesh option ( it will output a smooth t spline mesh and ram heavy ) . I am not sure how long it will take you but you may want to walk away for a half hour or so . if you got another way of watching youtube i would watch some videos on t splines . 

Message 27 of 174
TrippyLighting

IF you can attach the .obj file it would be much easier to help out.

The screenshot does not lok like a high res mesh. IF iis a .obj file containing quads you should not have a problem converting it into a T-Spline. Depending on the number of faces it may take a few minutes.

EESignature

Message 28 of 174

@Anonymous

Like TrippyLighting says I would need the .obj file to look at it or the scene from Fusion but you should be able to sketch on any face after converting the obj to brep.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 29 of 174
Anonymous

THABKS FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS

Capture.PNGAS DIRECTED AND I GOT A ERROR, WHY?

Message 30 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

HERE YOU    GO BUD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ACTUALLY I JUST TRY TO UPLOAD THE OBJ FILE IM WORKING WITH AND FOR SOME STUPID **** REASON A 3D MODELING WEBSITE LIKE THIS ONE DOES NOT ALLOW FOR OBJ OF STL TO BE UPLOADED WTF? UNHEARD OFF 

Message 31 of 174
cekuhnen

U need to zip it bro

and then upload it

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 32 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: cekuhnen

I THOUGHT ABOUT IT BUT I DONT THINK I SEEN ZIP AS A OPTION  ON HE EXT ALLOW THANKS

Message 33 of 174
Anonymous

quick update check on this page for that file you asked for thanks !

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/stl-file-import-for-sculpting-edit/td-p/59713...
Message 34 of 174
TrippyLighting

Importing the mesh into Fusinon was not problem, but it could not be converted into a T-spline. Fusion 360 returend a termendously helpful error message: "Mesh to T-Spline conversion failed" 😕

I looked at the .obj in Blender and it looks like the topolgy of the mesh is likely the problem.

• There are a small number of triangles in the mesh. This is more of an observation than a problem.
  • There are a nmber of N-gons in the mesh.
  • The mesh folds over on itself in a number of places and this would creae an implausible T-Spline.

This mesh needs to be cleaned up some before it can be turned into something useful fo Fusion 360.

At this time the mesh would also be impossible to be 3D printed without some work on the mesh.

How was this mesh generated ?

EESignature

Message 35 of 174
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

THABKS FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS

Capture.PNGAS DIRECTED AND I GOT A ERROR, WHY?

after that is run it outputs a t spline mesh not a standared one . it is labled wrong !

Message 36 of 174
TrippyLighting

The icon in hte browser indicats what type of object it is. Currntly it is a mesh.

When you attemy to convert it, the window that pops up also lists that same icon, but the label says "Seletion filter" and that ype of mesh is one of the filters.

tha does not mean that you've converted it into a T-Spline. That does not work because the topology of the mesh does not allow that.

EESignature

Message 37 of 174
Anonymous

when you run that tool the mesh changed to the tspline color and works . I don't know why but it does .. so try it 

Message 38 of 174
TrippyLighting

I have several times. It does not convert. Would you post your .f3d ?

EESignature

Message 39 of 174
Anonymous

I can post something later today
Message 40 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

I checked the mesh, 3 problems were found on my end:

1-Non Planar Quads

2-Triangles

3-Its not a water tight mesh

This mesh doesn't convert to a T-Spline because of reasons listed above. At least not on my computer.

This mesh can be converted to a brep and all faces can be sketched on, but in this case It is of little use, but it works fine. I converted it and cut a hole through the mesh.

Performance was not very good though. Proof here:

IM.png

If you really want to work with this model in fusion, make it water tight and get rid of the triangles. Also break it up into body parts and work with each one separately.

The way I converted it to a brep is here:

http://autode.sk/1S6ApSL

Just my 2 cents.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report