Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some mix of sweep and revolving?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
tonileoels
483 Views, 14 Replies

Some mix of sweep and revolving?

tonileoels_0-1682266341988.png

Hello! I'm currently trying to get this design to work where a quarter shell is surrounding something (irrelevant). Basically I am trying to turn the arc you can see on the 3 planes on the picture to revolve 90 deg. My problem is that the arc on the floor is longer (90mm) than the arc that is standing straight (60mm). The middle arc was an attempt that failed, it is exactly the average of both and not required for the design.

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
g-andresen
in reply to: tonileoels

Hi,

I think you should achieve your goal with the loft tool.
For this purpose, guide rails might be necessary or at least helpful.

Please share your file 

File > export > save as f3d on local drive attach to post

günther

Message 3 of 15
tonileoels
in reply to: g-andresen

Hello Gunter, thank you for replying!

The exported file is attached to this reply, please excuse the other stuff in the background.

Message 4 of 15
g-andresen

Hi,

try it this way

günther

Message 5 of 15
tonileoels
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi, that works for me too, but as I briefly mentioned in my first post, I want the object to be hollow (say only connect the arcs with each other). Thank you for helping this far! Is there any way you've found to do that?

Message 6 of 15
tonileoels

Thank you for helping! I've found a solution to the problem, I needed to split the arcs into 2 for my solution to work.

tonileoels_0-1682274874246.png

Message 7 of 15
davebYYPCU

Did you watch all of the video?  Gunther used Shell to make the hollow section.

As Loft is a finicky tool, he likely found using the hoop profiles went wonky, needing more rails, 

Your half method has a pitfall of creating a seam when mirroring without additional work.  I would recommend the solid / Shell method.

Might help.....

Message 8 of 15
tonileoels
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I have watched gunters video all the way. I do not want to use the shell tool as it is not reliable for my other use cases. If you want to talk about its disadvantages/advantages you are always free to create a new forum post. 😅😊

Message 9 of 15
davebYYPCU

Feedback is always welcome.

Message 10 of 15

@tonileoels wrote:

1. I do not want to use the shell tool as it is not reliable for my other use cases.

2.If you want to talk about its disadvantages/advantages

@tonileoels 
1. I recommend that you investigate why any Shell is not reliable.

2. I haven’t looked at you file, but even without examining the geometry I will wager that your proposed solution results in very poor geometry.

Message 11 of 15
g-andresen

Hi,

@tonileoels  schrieb:
 I do not want to use the shell tool as it is not reliable for my other use cases.

Instead, you can also create a loft body for the enveloping profile and remove the inner profile using a different loft of the inner profile and the "Cut" option.

Günther

Message 12 of 15

What do you want?

1. I ask a question on this forum
  2. A nice guy answers me and helps me find a solution to my problem
  3. I say its a possible way to do it, but ive found a way that is more convenient for me (it makes the shape of the curves more configurable in my case) and post a screenshot of it
  4. Some guy wants his share of attention and says he wouldve made it better with his stuff
  5. A catwhisperer youtube guy appears out of nowhere being passive aggressive, crying about some geometry (wtf? who is he to judge?)

Seriously boys touch grass and think before you post your aggression on the internet, the issue is solved everyone is happy. What do you want?

Thanks gunter for staying so helpful all the time you really helped me on this one!

Message 13 of 15
davebYYPCU

If you think your point 4 - is a correct statement,  can I disagree?  Or not?

I stated your solution was likely to be not as good as Gunther’s, told you why,  and what I would do.  

Had nothing to do with - what you might do with that information.

tgaydb.PNG

Gunthers method high left, and your's lower down he quality scale.

Message 14 of 15
tonileoels
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thats exactly what I meant! I do not care if you want your geometry good. The picture you have sent is out of context and you should merge the two bodies first before analyzing. The solution I used helps me to also control the shape from the inside of the shell. And how you have applied your solution seems wrong, as I see no way how the two objects would be asymetric, if you wouldve applied the solution correctly.

Message 15 of 15
davebYYPCU

When you get a little bit more experience you will realise the join for your method is what I was talking about, results in a seam, preventable with more work, and it is no way out of context.

That's it, both are finished, using both methods.

Bye....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report