Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slider joints conflict, although solution seems obvious

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
andgl
197 Views, 3 Replies

Slider joints conflict, although solution seems obvious

Hello,

I have a weird issue using multiple slider joints I cant figure out. As you can see in the attached file, I tried to join two spring loaded nuts with an extrusion profile via slider joints. The nuts are connected to bolts via cylindrical joints, while those two bolts are joint to another component via pin slots. Fusion says that this creates conflicts in multiple joints. However, Fusion does not really elaborate what the problem exactly is, leaving me completly confused since I would suggest there is an obvious solution to resolve the position of all related components.

I am a compelte beginner with Fusion360 and CAD in general so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
etfrench
in reply to: andgl

Slider1 and Slider9 are both bound to the same slot on the extrusion.  If they are moving parallel, just use a rigid joint between the nuts.  If the movement is different, explain how each piece is supposed to move.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
andgl
in reply to: etfrench

Although this would be a solution to continue the design in the project, it still confuses me why using two sliding joints doesnt work. I would appreciate any insight into this, just so I know what to avoid in the future.

Message 4 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: andgl

I have not had much time to spend with your design yet.  However, I did notice something that I would recommend against:  You use Pin Slot joints to relate the bolts and slots in a number of places:

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 10.38.44 AM.png

While this is an accurate representation of the dynamics of the components involved, it may be overkill.  In general, you should use the minimum number of degrees of freedom necessary to get the motion that you need.  Perhaps just a slider here would be sufficient.  And, most probably, a single slider between "Frame Right" and "3030 Widthwise" would be sufficient.  Then, a rigid joint/rigid group between the bolt and the "3030 Widthwise" component.

I don't know whether this is contributing to your slider problem or not, but it is a good rule of thumb to use as few joints as absolutely necessary (and the simplest joints possible).  The more joints you throw into the solver, the more chance that something will go wonky...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report