Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice object for CNC

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
chrisisla
426 Views, 6 Replies

Slice object for CNC

Hello,

I'm trying to understand a workflow to replicate the slicer, where a shape can be converted into CNC cuttable slices, as in a parametric bench (wood screenshot).

I used combine objects to slice out individual shapes, but I realized that each of these shapes have the subtle curvature.  What I really need is to be able to isolate the top faces of each slice into the "arrange" feature, so that I can efficiently cut each face from a 33" x 33" plywood.

Is there a better way to somehow extract the faces of each shape?  I was kinda picturing making 100 planes, spaced evenly, and then somehow having them intersect the model to produce only face sketches?  I may be way off.  Please help.

Thank you,

- Chris

b2.png

curv.png

Tags (2)
Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: chrisisla

A few things you did not say - doable, but not for the faint hearted.

The old Slicer App would only work on STL files..

Cut boards with perpendicular edges?  (Bandsaw), 2nd pic - 3d router with some undercutting.

Split body with a single sketch, not various planes.

Alignment  - dowels?

Not used Fusion Nesting etc, but that system needs a component for each part, 

Should get you started....

Message 3 of 7
chrisisla

This answer made me twice as confused as before I read it.  You mentioned "split body with single sketch" which is extremely vague.  You want to explain how to do this?

Message 4 of 7
davebYYPCU

Sure, one body, one sketch.

Split Body, with the vertical sketch lines.

spltbdy.PNGspltbdy2.PNG

Result, many new bodies.

Might help.....

Message 5 of 7
chrisisla

This is very helpful.  Couple more questions - how did you get all those sketch planes, shown in red, to line up like that?

My second question would be - could I somehow isolate the individual sections, where those red planes were intersecting the shape?  Then it seems like I'd wind up with 30 or so shapes that I could export to a CNC machine.

Thanks again,

Message 6 of 7
davebYYPCU

Check out the first pic, above, the red cutting Tools ("planes") come from the Extend Splitting Tools option, that is ticked, the red cut tools are preview of the cut position.  

After cutting where needed,

convert Bodies to Components. (can be Window selected)

Select the Components (can be window selected) in the Arrange / Nesting Tools.

Might help.....

Message 7 of 7
chrisisla

Thanks a lot Dave, I'll be experimenting with this.  I may follow up if you don't mind.  Much appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report