Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchup (.skp) File Import in Fusion360 - Model Won't Open

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
andre6HCEA
67422 Views, 10 Replies

Sketchup (.skp) File Import in Fusion360 - Model Won't Open

I'm trying to import a Sketchup 2018 model into my Fusion360 workspace.  I have uploaded into the work area....let it sit 8 hours......I get the 'upload complete' status, but when I double-click on it in my project library in F360 it takes me back to "myhub.autodesk.com" and just shows me a folder image with the file.  Any attempt to open it in F360 does not work.  In myhub.autodesk.com I can see the model, spin it around, etc....so F360 knows its a model.

The documentation that describes how to import Sketchup files doesn't state which versions of Sketchup are supported?  Does anyone know which versions do work?  I could not find this info anywhere.  Could this be my issue?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
g-andresen
in reply to: andre6HCEA

Hi,

here are the supported file formats.

With the new license types there were changes.

günther

Message 3 of 11
redevill
in reply to: g-andresen

How does that answer the question? The given doc link shows that *.skp can be used (apparently, though I have not made it work) But as the OP was asking, what are the supported versions of Sketchup? This link does not give any info on that...

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Has anybody actually managed to import a Sketchup file? This feature doesn't seem to work. I can upload it to the hub and even orbit the 3D preview, but can't open it in Fusion.

Message 5 of 11
redevill
in reply to: Anonymous

Currently - 18 Dec 2020

It seems that the free version no longer allows you to import .skp files into fusion.

I am not sure if the trial version (lasts one month? Features enabled?) would allow an import.

The student version does allow this capability.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

You would think the free version would be a natural fit for importing Sketchup files, since many hobbyists/free users will be coming from Sketchup. How many pro industrial designers need to import sketchup files?

Message 7 of 11
redevill

... 100% agree. It might even entice a sketchup user to be a convert, as there would be less fear of losing a large historical portfolio in another technology. This was suggested to them in my phone calls to the help center. But am sure they would rather send out a survey - 😛 Merry Christmas

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: redevill

Exactly this. I have literally ALL my stuff in SketchUp but I have reached the limits of what I can do with it. I want to migrate to Fusion360, and am happy to pay if it is a good fit for me, but to not be able to improve my current library of parts and to have to redraw them is just... Dumb. And putting me off migrating to 360.
Message 9 of 11
laughingcreek

Your sketchup models are just going to be mesh files in fusion anyway.  no different than if you imported .stl models.  (which are terrible to work with in fusion).   You would end up needing to remake everything regardless.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

Well I'm super glad I didn't buy 360 to find that out! 

Message 11 of 11
pcamera1238555E

has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report