Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Tools Missing after Update

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
corsair2014
2682 Views, 17 Replies

Sketch Tools Missing after Update

After the recent update (a day or two ago, somewhere around 11/12/2019) my sketch toolbar in the UI has gone missing... in fact, my whole UI layout got reset, which is not that big of a deal, but it also made my sketch tools disappear. See screenshot. When I enter the 'Sketch' to edit, there are no tools and no toolbar option for tools... only the panel on the right with some basic options such as 'Construction Geometry' etc.

What happened to the UI??

Update: I reinstalled Fusion360 and the issue is resolved. HOWEVER I am still curious as to why this happened, and if anyone else experienced this issue.

image.png

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
g-andresen
in reply to: corsair2014

Hi,

take a look at this thread.

Maybe there are some suggestions that will help you.

günther

Message 3 of 18
laughingcreek
in reply to: corsair2014

This has only happened a couple of times to me.  In my case evoking a sketch tool with a keyboard shortcut (such as L for Line) caused the sketch menu items to appear. 

Message 4 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

@laughingcreek  You are the first (that I've seen) admitting that this has returned. We recently stopped working on reproducing it because it seemed to be an issue that only hit each customer once (and we were never able to reproduce it.)

Are you saying it returns for you? And would that be strictly only after an update?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 18
laughingcreek
in reply to: Phil.E

@Phil.E -

I haven't seen this for at least a couple of weeks.  When I did, it wasn't persistent.  invoking a sketch command put everything right, and I don't think it occurred again in the same session.  I can't comment on the timing as it relates to updates.  I did lose all my menu settings around the same time.

side note-Is there a way to save the menu settings so we can get them back?

Message 6 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

Currently no. That's another top issue for us right now, and like the missing sketch tools, is not reproducible via known steps. That really helps when debugging. I have a feeling the two are intertwined. 

Really sorry for this experience. Let's keep the discussion going until we find the solution. Thanks for offering the best workaround yet: starting sketch tools via RMB menu. I've yet to hear that doesn't work.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 18
HughesTooling

@Phil.E  Not sure whether to start another thread for this but over the last month or so, since session management was implemented Fusion has needed to sign in when starting. On my notebook it just happened again, must be the third time in the last 5 or 6 weeks. When this has happened it's resets some of my settings as well, toolbars and user preferences not all. Definitely be nice to have a way to save settings.

A couple of times on my other PCs I'd used hibernate, when I restarted windows Fusion came up with the sign in screen and closed all open files, not very good behaviour. I know I probably shouldn't use hibernate but it saves a lot of time, I always save before closing down so don't lose anything apart from the time finding and opening the designs again.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling  can you please break this out into a stand alone post about lost preferences? (reset navigation preferences, units, you name it, let's hear it). What you've stated here is a good start. 

This looks like a great start.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/preferences-constantly-being-lost/td-p/9125902

Can you add your findings there?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 18
jonavark

This is still a problem as of 2.12.20. NO Sketch toolbar area.

Message 10 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: jonavark

Sorry to hear this. 

Can you please check which build you are running, via the About box, found under ?Help.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 18
jonavark

I am trying to follow tutorials to create some enclosures. Stuck trying to project posts for PCB support as the sketch tools are intermittent. perhaps I am doing something wrong here. The tutorial I am following is indeed from 8.16.2019

Message 12 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

Can you make a screencast to show your workflow?

günther

Message 13 of 18
jonavark
in reply to: g-andresen

Thank you Guenther . I will attempt that. I am trying to follow the tutorial at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NVC8xhf3I&t=263s

I am at the point where I am attempting to project the PCB holes to the bottom surface of the box. In the tutorial he is using the project option from the sketch dropdown. In my UI that dropdown is only visible when creating a new sketch. But in the tutorial, it appears he is not creating a new sketch. Nonetheless, I am unable to get a projection using the PCB holes. I fail to get the selection correct. perhaps because the only way I can get to the project feature is to start a new sketch.

For some reason I am unable to do a screen cast.

Message 14 of 18
Phil.E

Hi,

In the tutorial, the old interface is shown. This is an old tutorial, like most of them, they have the old UI. 

This video explains the update to the new UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-fErCl43I

One of the differences you'll find is that in the old user interface (shown in your tutorial) the sketch tools are always present on a menu in the modeling environment. But in the new UI (the one you are using), those tools only appear after you have begun a new sketch. 

In any case, whether new or old UI is used, this should have zero effect on how "project sketch geometry" works for you. 

Here is a Screencast video about how to post a Screencast.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 18
jonavark

They you for taking the time to respond. I did get a handle on it! Again, really appreciate the time.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

What did you end up doing to resolve this? I'm having the same issue as of 7/2020 (version 2.0.8624)

Message 17 of 18
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

sketch tools don't appear till your actively editing a sketch.  your not in edit sketch mode in your screen shot.

Message 18 of 18
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

just as @laughingcreek  mentioned

sketch tools appearing.gif

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report