Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch offset not fully constrained?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
robduarte
2388 Views, 22 Replies

Sketch offset not fully constrained?

Please see this screencast: https://youtu.be/2DBHRdZQiaU

I draw a fully constrained rectangle in a sketch and add an offset of a specified dimension. Any idea why the offset appears in blue (unconstrained)?

Rob Duarte
Associate Professor in Art, Florida State University
Co-Director FSU Facility for Arts Research
http://art.fsu.edu/rob-duarte/

Twitter | YouTube

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: robduarte

@robduarte

Link doesn't work for me.

Can you move the offset even though the color shows it is not constrained?

Might be a bug, because the constrained color of a sketch is still in development as far as I know.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 23
robduarte
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Strange - the link should work now. You get the idea even without the video, I suppose. No, I cannot drag it anywhere so maybe it's a bug in the coloring.

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 4 of 23
TrippyLighting

The part of Fusion 360 that colors parts based on their constrint status is still experimental...and does not work all the time.

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
jiang_peng

The fully constrained status of offset geometries is a known issue. We are still working on it.

Thanks for reporting the issue!

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: jiang_peng

Is the problem solved?

Message 7 of 23
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

It seems to be fixed although in my test it shows the source and copy are fully constrained when neither are!

Capture4.PNG

And below with the extra dimension that makes it fully constrained, really would help if the dots changed to black when it's fully constrained. I put this example in the support forum as a bug.

Capture2.PNG

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

I'm telling that because in my case I found I strange behavior with projected edges, when I change a past sketch in the timeline, the offset is maintained and everything is in fact fully constrained, but the geometry created from the offset turn in blue and does not remain black to show that it still fully constrained, it just a matter of mind blow in my case, I lost an hour to figure it out how to fully constrain the offset, when it was already, and probably is just a visual bug.

These are the steps to reproduce:

1. create a sketch

2. in the sketch create a rectangle fully constrained in the space, and give some dimension constraints

01-2017-08-21_11-15-17.png

3. extrude the rectangle and create a body

02-2017-08-21_11-16-04.png

4. create a new sketch on the top surface of the body

5. project the edges of the rectangle from the bottom sketch to the new sketch

6. create an offset from the the projected rectangle to the inside

7. check that the derived offset rectangle is black, so fully constrained

03-2017-08-21_11-16-42.png

8. extrude the offset rectangle and cut down to create a box

04-2017-08-21_11-17-18.png

9. go back and edit the first sketch and change the dimensions of the rectangle

05-2017-08-21_11-18-03.png

10. open in edit the next sketch where the offset is

at step 10 you will see the rectangle generated by the offset has lost the black color, and become blue as it is not fully constrained when it fact it is, or am I missing something I don't know?

06-2017-08-21_11-18-16.png

If I edit the offset value, the rectangle become black again, even if I set the same value.

Message 9 of 23
HughesTooling

Have you tried running a compute all Ctrl+B after the edit to see if it update the constraint status. Support should still have a look though, @jeff_strater is this a known problem?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 23
robduarte

Are you able to make a screen cast of that process with Screen Recorder (or QuickTime Player etc)? It helps.

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

with CTRL+B the edges remain blue, only editing the offset value does the trick.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

here we go 😉

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

didn't hit "insert" in the previous reply 🙂

Message 14 of 23
jeff_strater

Yes, that is a bug.  I'll log it.

One small point from your video:  There is no need to re-project the edges of the block when you create the sketch.  Those curves are already in the sketch, because you sketched on that face.  The boundary curves are just not drawn, but you can still directly offset them:

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

oh yes I forgot that, when I studied projection I forgot that those boundaries are already there and can be used without projecting them, LOL 🙂

I really appreciate you point that out, thanks!

BTW the bug is there even if I use the implicit boundaries, without project, so maybe the problem resides on the recalculation of the offset it self.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Jeff the last thing, I think is related so I publish right here.

With a ellipse the line remains blue and never turns black, even the first time you create it, and even trying the trick of changing the offset value, see the screencast below:

Message 17 of 23
robduarte

I was going to say the same about not needing to project the curves from your box. I'm also wondering why you wouldn't (in the case you showed) do it all in one sketch? Thanks for making the video!

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

@robduarte wrote:

I was going to say the same about not needing to project the curves from your box. I'm also wondering why you wouldn't (in the case you showed) do it all in one sketch? Thanks for making the video!

It was just for the purpose of showing the bug, but sometimes I do strange steps like that, don't know why, probably because I'm a developer not a designer (I think different Smiley LOL) and probably most important, I'm a desperate newbie Smiley Tongue trying to do pro-stuff Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 23
jeff_strater

this has been filed as FUS-34661 for internal tracking

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

This seems still to be a problem, as I got the exact same result as in the screen casts above while following this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g

It fails at time 14:09, with my lines still blue, and unable to extrude.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report