Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Results in A360 - Shading not Correctly Displayed

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bryan_mcnatt
809 Views, 8 Replies

Simulation Results in A360 - Shading not Correctly Displayed

Simulation results viewed on the web through A360 are not shown correctly.  The image below is of a billboard structure under wind loading from behind (from upper left toward lower right of image as shown).  The simulation result shown is Displacement.  The billboard leans and bends under the load as expected, toward lower right of image.  The calculated displacements are correct and have been checked.  The problem/question I have is with the shaded display of these and other results.  Below, the components at the top of the sign should all be red since they experience the max deflection.  The colors should then transition continually from red at the top to blue at the bottom where the I-beams are fixed to the ground.  Instead, I see this repeated striping which doesn't follow the deformed model.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or if this is due to some setting I need to adjust?  Could it be browser-related (Firefox)?  Could it be graphics card related?  I use a high-end CAD box so I doubt that it could be due to insufficient hardware.

One of the hardest things to share among non-engineers is simulation/analysis results.  I'd really love if Fusion 360 could give me the ability to share simulation results to others for interrogation.  It looks like it's oh so close right now.

Capture.PNG

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you share the Fusion model with me and also post a screen shot of the results in the Fusion client? 

Thanks, 
Mike Smell

Product Manager, Fusion 360 Simulation

Message 3 of 9

Here's how the results look in Fusion 360.

Capture.PNG

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
Message 4 of 9

For Mike Smell ... Fusion 360 model with simulation results that do not
display properly when viewed via web.

http://a360.co/2bVK1Ay

--
Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering, LLC
7160 Preston Rd., Suite 100
Plano, TX 75024
(469) 231-1143
Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
Message 5 of 9

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for sharing this link. I see the same problem when I look at your results. I will ask our development team to take a closer look at this. Can you also give us access to the Fusion model itself? If you cannot share this model publicly, can you share it with me directly at michael.smell@autodesk.com?

From what I can see, it looks like it is somehow model specific, as I made a small test assembly and did not see this problem. 

Thanks, 

Mike

sim lmv.jpg

Thanks,

Message 6 of 9

regarding "model-specific" nature of this issue ... this assy began as
Solidworks-native files, simplified there some, then to SimStudio for
more simplification (I can't recall or find evidence of a conversion
from Solidworks to STEP before going to SimStudio but that is a
possibility I guess), then to STEP, then to Fusion 360. Could be that
such a path does something that leads to this. ???

--
Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering, LLC
7160 Preston Rd., Suite 100
Plano, TX 75024
(469) 231-1143
Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
Message 7 of 9

Hi Bryan- 

We do not believe the issue is related to your file conversions. Some of testing suggests this might be related to the default Fusion document and simulation units. What are the default units you have set in your Fusion preferences for both the design and simulation environments?

Thanks,

Mike 

Message 8 of 9

Default units for both environments is set to U.S. (in).

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
Message 9 of 9

Bryan, 

Thanks for confirming, as this confirms what our QA and Dev teams have found. It looks like the issue is created by the default document and simulation settings being set to English. If you change your default Fusion units to metric, and then re-import and setup the model, your A360 contour plots will look as you expect. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will get this fixed as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report