Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing dimensions for 3d body features

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1698 Views, 4 Replies

Showing dimensions for 3d body features

How can I show a dimension of a feature of a 3d solid? For example, say I have a drawing of a 5x5 cube. I extrude a 2x2 step on the top surface 1 inch. When I view the finished solid, I want to see the 1 inch dimension. I can see the dimensions of sketch features in 2d with the "show/hide dimensions" of a sketch. I want to show the height of an extruded feature. Is this possible? if not, why?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

why indeed.  I to would like this, along with the ability to see any of the settings in a feature, such as extrude, without having to edit the feature.

To get around this, I create a dimensioned sketch object, and "extrude to" the object.  You can change the extrude depth by changing the dimension this way, without having to go in and edit the feature-

laughingcreek_0-1597976935380.png

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

[cid:image003.png@01D67736.14637510]
Thanks for your reply. So just to be clear, the yellow dimension, in this pic, is what I’m wanting to create in fusion 360. This is actually an edited screen snip.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying to create a new sketch on the side surface of the feature, say a rectangle, and then show the dimensions of that sketch to reveal the height of that feature.
Is that what your saying? If so,…PITA! I should be able to just click on a line, or 2 lines, and pull out a dimension. Like in Sketchup.
It is a great work around tho! I should be able to fake a result.
THX Again!
Message 4 of 5
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

no, the sketch is created first. it drives the feature.

Message 5 of 5
70853n
in reply to: laughingcreek

Yeah, one would expect the size of a solid (outer boundries) to be calculated/displayed easily. Maybe there's some complicated/unintuitive way to display it, but I don't know. But there is some information displayed in the lower right corner. If you happen to have an edge that spans the whole boundry, select it and you'll see the length.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report