Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal cone unfold

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
JJackrabbit
2191 Views, 24 Replies

Sheet metal cone unfold

Hello

I need the following model made from sheet metal.

And I want to "unfold" the part. So I can make a drawing for laser cutting.

But I can't figure out how to do it.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Message 22 of 25
hclmed
in reply to: JJackrabbit

Just to follow up a little more on sheet metal cone creation, I now realize I can revolve a line when in the the SURFACE menu. That can give me a simple method of creating a cone with a rip. But after I thicken it, and extrude an edge, I don't seem to be able to select the newly extruded flat surface for an unfold operation. The model resulting from that revolved line, that is thickened, and given a small extrusion on its edge looks identical to the one created by a lofted flange. Is is necessary to use a flange when generating a sheet metal surface?

Message 23 of 25
Warmingup1953
in reply to: hclmed

It might be best to start a new thread and include your latest Fusion 360 file and query.

Message 24 of 25
jhackney1972
in reply to: hclmed

Since you are using a surface and Thicken command to make your cone, it is not sheet metal but a solid body.  The Convert to Sheet Metal command will not respect a curve surface so you have to add the small extrusion for the conversion to work.  Also this same extrusion is used with the Unfold command, if needed.  The video will explain.

By the way, you need to start using the "Reply" icon on the post you are responding to.  JJackRabbit, if he still is a part of the Forum is probably sick of you addressing post to him!

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 25 of 25
hclmed
in reply to: jhackney1972

Ok, I believe I replied directly to your post this time, rather that replying at the bottom of the thread. I'd also start a new thread for this if your last reply hadn't answered my question. I did make the extrusion, but didn't know about the Convert to Sheet Metal command, which is the step I was missing.

So it now looks like I can create a single line sketch as the basis for the shape of a cone by revolving, thickening, extruding, then converting to sheet metal, then unfolding. That's seems to work fine. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report