Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal cone unfold

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
JJackrabbit
2048 Views, 24 Replies

Sheet metal cone unfold

Hello

I need the following model made from sheet metal.

And I want to "unfold" the part. So I can make a drawing for laser cutting.

But I can't figure out how to do it.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

If you search the forum for that title you'll find several thread where this has been discussed and solved.

Here is one of them.

EESignature

Message 3 of 25

You didn't use sheet metal features and no Rip.

Message 4 of 25

Cone - Sketch1

Message 5 of 25
g-andresen
in reply to: JJackrabbit

Hi,

one more

sheet cone cutted.png

günther

Message 6 of 25
JJackrabbit
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks guys! got it

Message 7 of 25
hclmed

I've seen several tutorials on unrolling a sheet metal cone, but none seem to reveal why my model isn't unrolling, including TheCADWhisperer's in this thread. While they all create a sheet metal cone with a flange, each effort fails to unroll into a flat model. The version I tried based on this thread's video turns the cone sideways when I attempt to flatten it. The model is attached.

I widened the trim to make it more visible, and the other difference is that, while I gave the flange a negative, -10mm distance, (while this model is in inches), for some reason, I had to use a positive value for thicken, (2mm since this is aluminum), to appear flush with the flange, while the video uses a negative distance. Is there an explanation why this model won't flatten?

Message 8 of 25
Warmingup1953
in reply to: hclmed

No attachment?

Message 9 of 25
jhackney1972

Sorry, just found it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 10 of 25
Warmingup1953

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 6.50.50 am.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-04 at 6.43.12 am.pngI set Document Setting to mm...You had not left a wee gap and your thicken didn't match the thickness desired I think.

Message 11 of 25
jhackney1972

The method you are using to create a sheet metal cone has been made a lot simpler with the introduction of the Lofted Flange command.  The video will demonstrate one way of using this new tool to make a sheet metal cone.  Model is attached I used in the video.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 12 of 25

Many thanks for alerting us to that use of lofted flange...I was thinking that it was just for the HVAC guys making Rectangle to round joiners......That is so much easier!

Message 13 of 25

..and you can easily Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 7.13.30 am.pngmake the gap nano-scale!

Message 14 of 25
hclmed

John Hackney to the rescue again. Thanks for your insight. I didn't know about that tool, though I did notice my flange interface was different than in the various tutorials I tried. It looks like this also performs the thickening, based on the applicable material rule. Is it then necessary to add a flat flange to join the 2 ends together. In this particular case, I will eventually need 3 sections, so would I add 2 more gap angles, and manually add a flange for each? This thread doesn't seem to offer an "Accept Solution" button, but I'm sure it would be useful in the other sheet metal cone discussions.

Tags (2)
Message 15 of 25
g-andresen

Hi,

@hclmed  schrieb:

This thread doesn't seem to offer an "Accept Solution" button, but I'm sure it would be useful in the other sheet metal cone discussions.

This is only available for the TO.
Please open a new thread.

Günther

Message 16 of 25
hclmed
in reply to: g-andresen

Ok, didn't realize that was the criteria. I guess the other times I clicked it, I was the thread opener, and I suppose that's the person who would have to determine if it's solved. If I open another thread, do the other replies, especially John, who gave the answer, need to post again?

Message 17 of 25
g-andresen

Hi,

@hclmed  schrieb:

If I open another thread, do the other replies, especially John, who gave the answer, need to post again?

That would be the easiest way, or you can put a link to @jhackney1972  post.

günther

Message 18 of 25
jhackney1972

I took care of it for you.  Thanks for the kind words.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 19 of 25
hclmed
in reply to: jhackney1972

Now I'm wondering about cutouts here, https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/sheet-metal-cone-unfold-and-cutout/td-p/11797184, if or when you get a chance. Thanks

Message 20 of 25
jhackney1972

I am sorry, the link you added to your last post gives me an error when I click on it.  Please clarify your needs again.

John Hackney
Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report