Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
brysonwhitedesign
285 Views, 3 Replies

Sharing Files

I am working on a project for a client. I need to be able to have access to his files without giving him access to my files. We tried right click, Share Public Link from the data panel. This gave me the file that he is working on, but it was no longer linked—any changes he made did not update the file on my machine. Next I had him add me to his project. I can now go into the project and see his files, along with all his updates. I tried inserting his file into my file, but apparently I’m only allowed to insert his file into a file in the same project folder. I tried making a derived part of his part, but again, I could only save that in the same folder.

I need to be able to access his file—along with automatically seeing any updates he makes—and insert his file into mine without giving him access to my file. How can I go about this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for using Fusion. Are you looking to view the file shared or trying to edit the file.

Btw, the Shared link will have the latest version when viewed online. You might have created a copy of it, so is the reason the update didn't work. 

Also as you have the option to invite yourself as a viewer you can definitely add yourself as a viewer/Editor and get access accordingly. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
 Sr. Quality Engineer in Fusion
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 3 of 4

This whole thing is Linked Together. 

If you download the File/Project shared by your Client, You won't be able to see any updates. Because it is no longer linked to the Project Shared... So, won't be updated anymore.. 

If you make any changes in the Project shared, Both will be able to see it... (Which you do not want).. 

So there are 2 Options. 

1. Download the Latest file from the Project Shared inside Fusion, and work Independently.. Without the Client seeing your Work. 
  2. Copy the Shared Link in the Browser, And Download the Latest File in Fusion 360 Archive. (Which will be emailed to the Email Address you Enter).. And than Download it> Upload in Fusion> and start your Work. 

If you feel you want to share any of your files, Add them to the shared Project.

And if you are continuing your Work in the same File, create a copy of it and than share it. This way, your future changes won't be reflected. 

This is the best way I see this can be done. 
(But you will have to download/save the New file once it is updated by your Client...)

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 4 of 4

Also @brysonwhitedesign could you please let us know if you are on Single User Storage hubs or on Business Teams? 

if you are on the SUS, then we suggest you both switch to teams using the link(http://autode.sk/teamonboarding) to have the full benefits of collaboration. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
 Sr. Quality Engineer in Fusion
Autodesk
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report