Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation Relative to Another Rotation in Animation mode

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tedj1
1221 Views, 5 Replies

Rotation Relative to Another Rotation in Animation mode

Hi.  I'm trying to use the Fusion Animation workspace with this displayed assembly.   I need to rotate the long vertical shaft and the triangle plate that it is rigidly attached to around the shaft's axis.  Furthermore, there is also a gear that rotates about a short rod that is rigidly attached to the triangular plate.  I would like to see the gear spin relative the short rod (not shown), even as it and the short rod are swept around with the plate.  Is that beyond the capabilities of Fusion's Animation workspace?  ThanksRotationAnimation.png
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Beyondforce
in reply to: tedj1

Hej @tedj1 ,

Maybe this could help: https://youtu.be/VbLNYh_YX2o

Cheers / Ben

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark: TESREG.com
Visit us on Facebook Page Facebook community
YouTube channel: Fusion 360: NewbiesPlus

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 3 of 6
tedj1
in reply to: Beyondforce

Hi Ben.  No, I'm afraid it didn't help.  In fact, it's author didn't even get into rotations at all.  But it did cost me a twenty minutes to review it.  But it appears (so far) that the answer is 'No, Fusion 360 cannot animate driven assemblies, and that includes rotations within rotations.'  So that's a pretty serious limitation of animations and one that, for example, PTC's Wildfire does not have.  I mean, don't people often want to create animations of their assemblies moving as they're designed to move?  Bummer.  But wouldn't it be nice if Fusion could?  I assume the structure of Animations is such that there are no plans by Autodesk to add that capability in the future.  Seems like it would be fairly simple to add it, but I'm not a Fusion engineer.  Oh well.  But perhaps there is a work-around that someone experiencing a similar problem has experienced before - perhaps one involving a third party screen capture utility?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: tedj1

Hi! i know this is over 2 years old, and you probably found out how to work this allready, but i happend to be searching after this problem myself, and stumbled on this thread, and i am happy to say that by playing around i found out something that could indeed come to help? when moving, you can click the button "set Pivot" where you can then click in the middle of the thing you want it to rotate around!

Message 5 of 6
tedj1
in reply to: Anonymous

It might be possible to rotate within a rotation and such (i.e. to 'emulate' the working mechanism in Design Mode).  And I'll let you know if I ever succeed in finding a way to do so.  But the point is, I'm having to re-create the wheel in having to make a complex mechanism work again from scratch in Animation (and less intuitively too).  Animation mode will be incomplete until some ability is provided to readily transfer the working mechanism from Design mode into Animation mode.  Period.  In fact, I find the Animation mode interface to be spectacularly unintuitive.

Message 6 of 6
tedj1
in reply to: Anonymous

Here's my sample file.  If you can figure out how to tell me how to use the swivel feature properly and make the Triangle swivel around the MidRod to which it is rigidly attached as it obviously should, I'll be ever thankful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report