Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rigid Group always on Top

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mika.takalo
525 Views, 10 Replies

Rigid Group always on Top

Is there a way to keep rigid group always on top, so I do not need to move it always when I create something new on the sub-assembly? It is weird why those fully constrained sub-assemblies are exploding in main-assy, if those are not defined as rigid groups.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mika.takalo
in reply to: mika.takalo

(Fully jointed...)

Message 3 of 11
jeff_strater

@mika.takalo - can you add more information/detail/screencast/model here?  I'm not sure what "always on top" means in this context. I'm not sure what "so I do not need to move it always when I create something new on the sub-assembly?" means.  Are these local components or external components?  What is the workflow you are using that shows a problem, and what is your expected behavior.

Thanks

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 11
mika.takalo
in reply to: jeff_strater

Always on Top=Last on the timeline and keep it updated with all the component of the assembly. My assembly includes both, linked parts and inside assembly created parts and those are well jointed together, no any part moving if I drag with a mouse. But if I´ll use this assembly as a sub-assembly(linked) in my main assembly file, those parts in that sub-assembly is exploding at the screen, even that those was really well jointed together. It still need to be rigid group in addition of jointing, if you want to link your assembly as a sub-assembly in some another file.

Message 5 of 11
mika.takalo

More better topic for this would be: Linked assemblies joints exploding. 

Message 6 of 11
jeff_strater

no, there is no notion of a rigid group to which new components are always added.

If you have a case where you have a sub-assembly that is fully jointed within itself to be rigid (note here:  not including Ground - Ground does not come across when you Insert a design into another - I mean joints or rigid groups that fully define the position of all components in a sub-assembly) and you insert that into a higher-level design, and those components are "exploding", then that is a bug, and we would like to see that design.  Can you share such a case here?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 11
mika.takalo

Are you saying that Grounded is not staying on it´s place, if adding that assy as a sub-assy to main-assy? I always ground the first created component of assembly, before jointing another parts on it.

Message 8 of 11
jeff_strater

correct.  Ground is applicable only in the design in which it is applied.  If you want a rigid sub-assembly you can join all the components in that sub-assembly together with joints/rigid groups.  Some people opt to create rigid joints between components in a sub-assembly and the origin of that sub-assembly as another way to achieve a rigid sub-assembly

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 11
mika.takalo

Ok... I was comparing this "Ground" command the another software's "Fix/Anchor" mate. Sounds like I need to study more about this, because I still don´t really understand what is the point of "Ground" command, if it´s not solid when using that assy as sub-assembly in another assembly.

Message 10 of 11
mika.takalo

Would it be harmful if Ground would be a solid(Rigid) in those kind of cases? Is it possible to take this on updates list?

Message 11 of 11
mika.takalo

Yep, I made a couple of test assy and it looks like just jointing the first part of assembly to origin works fine. If grounding the first part of assembly, assy will explode if using it as a sub-assy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report