Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Releasing multiple degrees of freedom

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
717 Views, 5 Replies

Releasing multiple degrees of freedom

I am modeling a frame for a folding wooden deck chair. The assembly has to move in a scissor-like manner. All components have been joint with a revolute joint and tested.

The assembly has two points of contact with the floor:

The front leg, tied down to an imaginary base platform, which pivots on it's end.

The back leg, which not only slides along the floor as the inclination of the back is adjusted but has to vary its angle in relation to the floor.

Q: How to release more than one degree of freedom in the same joint. I've tried creating two joints at the same point with a different D of F. Error...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

I do this by adding a helper "component", which usually is just a component that has a line in it for me to use to locate joints.  In the screen cast, the"helper" has a slider joint on the follower, and a revolve on the cam.  Attached is basically the same model, but each end has a revolve instead.

You can do something similar to get the motion your trying to achieve.

post your file and I can do a more specific example when I get to a different computer.

Message 3 of 6

same idea as above, but the follower has a revolve joint at the top instead of a slider.

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

cd26f2d0-9f8e-4b4e-9dbd-eb732698fcaf

Message 4 of 6

hmm, maybe it will attach this time

Message 5 of 6

what do you know, I found my way to my computer.  Attached is an example of applying the above idea to your situation.

I think you could also do this with motion links between the revolve joint of the front chair leg on the ground, and the revolve at the hinge point in the center.

Message 6 of 6

dang, the screen cast didn't attach again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report