Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular Pattern in Sketches Doesn't Duplicate Center Rectangles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
matthewjschultz
382 Views, 5 Replies

Rectangular Pattern in Sketches Doesn't Duplicate Center Rectangles

In a sketch, I need to create a rectangular pattern where I need to individually rotate each rectangle based on its center. I created a center rectangle and the rectangular pattern, but the pattern creates what appears to be 2-point rectangles. This means only the source rectangle for the pattern can be rotated from its center.

Is this a "feature" or a "bug"?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I would think that behavior is as expected...but others may add. Why not add a Point (at the Centre) and pattern both entities?

Message 3 of 6

Unless I'm doing it incorrectly, when I've tried that it doesn't work, even when I delete the pattern constraint and try to move the squares individually.

That is, I can move the squares horizontally, vertically, or free move, but trying to set the point as the pivot and rotating the square doesn't work. I've tried all combos of selecting before invoking move, selecting after invoking move, and everything in between.

I must be overlooking something simple.

But IMHO if you purposefully create a center rectangle, it should pattern that; not a 2-point rectangle. Otherwise why have the different object types?
Message 4 of 6

Follow the sequence outlined in the video.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

John,

THANK YOU! I think I know what I was doing to cause the center rectangle to not be patterned: I was double-clicking to select the center-rectangle instead of a window select. That's what was causing it, because of course I was just selecting the lines which were then patterned.

THANK YOU, AGAIN!

Matt
Message 6 of 6

I think the other dumb thing I was doing was activating "set pivot", selecting the center, but thinking "set pivot" was a temporary on that'd just set itself once I selected the pivot point.

Watching your demo helped me realize it's a toggle; you need to toggle it off once you pick the pivot point.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to make that video for me, John!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report