Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-aligning compoment coordinate system

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lekonna
294 Views, 2 Replies

re-aligning compoment coordinate system

So if i'm using 3d scans of components and want to align them to the world, i usually import the mesh, direct edit the component, add planes or other reference geometry at appropriate places, and then on the design tree, select the master compoment, and align using those features. 

This is all good, the 3d scan is at correct orientation on grand scale of things, however, this leaves the coordinate system of the item in the original orientation, and if i want to move said component it will use the components coordinates, not the worlds to move it. which causes problems. Is there a way for me to leave the components orientation as it is, but to translate the coordinate system to that of the master object? 

lekonna_0-1690006264061.png

here is what the oriented object looks like with both origins visible. 

lekonna_1-1690006501710.png

here is what happens when i try to move it.

Is my worlflow of aligning the object incorrect, or is there a way that i could just tell the object that "look, your coordinate system now is the same as the parent" ?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: lekonna

This is a case where the Align command will help.  Just be sure that you are aligning components, not bodies.  Also be sure the Capture Position, so that the component stays in that position.  See the video:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
lekonna
in reply to: jeff_strater

Unfortunately this does not solve my situation really.

In your video the primary axis of the component you are aligning, are already aligned with the primary axis of the object inside the component (the sides of the square), in my case, the axis of the component are out of whack with the mesh object. 

I can add planes to the compoment and align the component with the world, but the internal coordinate system just gets rotated and translated with the component.

when ever i select the move command, even when i have the master component selected, the controls of the move type are always aligned with the coordinate system of the component being moved, not the master component. This makes it difficult to place the object within the master assembly where i want since it will want to go in random directions. 

I

Here is the video of my process currently. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report