Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Create solid using extrude" tutorial, step #10 - problem with snap

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
640 Views, 5 Replies

"Create solid using extrude" tutorial, step #10 - problem with snap

So I have a problem with this one. I followed every step, I have a plane on which I am supposed to sketch and the only problem is... Pointer won't snap to intersections between a plane and a body.

I tried it many times - it didn't seem to work as on the image from tutorial.

And then suddenly, after x try - it did work exactly like that - I didn't have to project anything, nothing. "Suddenly" my sketch would snap to intersection between the body and the plane. I finished tutorial, but it didn't feel right since I still couldn't reproduce that, so I got back to that problem.

After a little search I found out how to use Sketch/Project Cut Edges and I can accomplish step #10 every time with that tool, but I still don't feel fully satisfied - I want to know how was I able to accomplish this without projecting, since it feels like it's the faster way.

Can anyone advise me on this one?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
NicolasXu
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi kamil,

Thanks for reaching out.

From the image of step 10, it looks like there is a Projected (Cut) profile. I’m not able to figure out a way without projecting. I will confirm with my colleague about this.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: NicolasXu

Hi Nicolas, thank you for answer.

Maybe my problem was cause by the fact that those tutorials (from "Tutorials" section) were not targeting absolute beginners (day zero of using any CAD tool ever). It seems that as I learn from other guides many problems that I had while following tutorials are gone (I skipped "Workflows" section before trying "Tutorials").

And btw, I was able to finish both tutorials by now and I now consider projecting to be natural and painless, so it's no issue anymore.

The real issue was to make a hole at exact point from step #10 of the other tutorial ("Create solid using revolve") - I must say that I spent over 2 hours trying to find a way to do it and I still have no clue.

With few plains, sketches and extrude I was able to build some object in that location and then snap a hole to the middle of it. Sounds like a huge overkill.

And note that on the picture that illustrates step #10 there are two boxes where one can enter offsets from a nearby edges - after so much time spent trying (that includes clicking everything in any order almost randomly) - I only once seen one of those inputs (offset from the side edge) - the other offset was still missing. And then.. I was never able to replicate that and I have never seen offset guides/inputs while creating a hole ever again.
Message 4 of 6
NicolasXu

Hi kamil,

I agree that video is more intuitive for learning. I have communicated with the team for your feedback.

As to your question, here is a video to show the steps - the trick is clicking the Hole center first then select the nearby edges.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73595450/AddHole.mp4

Feel free to let us know if any comments or questions you may have and we'll be glad to help.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: NicolasXu

Thank you for your support! As I am now going through every guide in F360 Learning section, so I will make sure to note other pain points and most confusing things and post it as a whole when done.
Message 6 of 6
patrick.miller

Hi Kamil,

Thank you for th feedback. I understand where I can add some detail to the steps to make sure all types of users (new and experienced) will be successful with the tutorials. I plan to push new help content at the end of the week and will update these tutorials with it.

I welcome all feedback on the help content, videos, and tutorials. These forums are a great place to post suggestions so that other users can comment and Autodesk-ers see it as well. Thanks again.

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report