Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot convert mesh body to solid or surface body" using new Mesh prismatic conversion

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
denis_vasilescu
8411 Views, 15 Replies

"Cannot convert mesh body to solid or surface body" using new Mesh prismatic conversion

Attached is a STL of a rod that I would like to convert to a prismatic solid body. When I attempt to do the conversion using the Mesh workspace and prismatic conversion option in the July 2021 update, it fails with the error messages:

"The operation failed. Try adjusting the values or changing the input geometry"

"Cannot convert mesh body to solid or surface body. Use Generate Face Groups or Direct Edit to align face groups to geometric features on the mesh body"

Any tips?

Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

No .stl file was attached.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16

Here it is.

Message 4 of 16

1. Use "Insert->Mesh"
  2. Change into the Mesh Tab
  3. Select "Modify->Convert Mesh"
  4. Depending on what subscription you have (free or Educational/Commercial) you can choose between different conversion methods.
    • Default is "Parametric" and "Faceted". Faceted should work right away.
    • To convert to a prismatic body you first need to create fat e groups.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16

What is the process for this groups thing? I want to create a primsatic body. Can you show a video of this specific process? I tried the parametric conversion straight away because that is what was shown in the update notes:

Fusion 360 Help | Mesh modeling | Convert a mesh body to a solid body | Autodesk

But that doesn't work on my STL

Message 6 of 16

It is about as straight forward as I described:

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 6.26.28 PM.png

EESignature

Message 7 of 16

Thanks @TrippyLighting for the detailed description! Here is a short video to show the process - 

https://autode.sk/3k2Elbc

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 8 of 16

Thank you for taking the time to make the full video with my part Steven!

Message 9 of 16
huczekdesign
in reply to: MingweiGao

Appreciate the response here. I'm having a similar issue with a model I'm trying to edit if you'd be so kind to offer some assistance. When I try to perform this workflow I get 2 errors on my model.

• "The operation failed, try adjust the values or changing the input geometry"
  • "Cannot convert mesh body to solid or surface body. Use generate face groups or direct edit to align face groups to geometric features on the mesh body."

I am simply importing the STL, generating face groups, and then trying to convert the mesh to a parametric or base model. I also tried reducing the number of polygons thinking that might be the issue but I still get the same error messages.

I have attached my .stl in question.

Message 10 of 16

@huczekdesign  That part looks far too organic, don't think you'll get the prismatic option to work on it.

HughesTooling_0-1627987626047.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 16

Ah ok thanks. So it's more of a limitation of the geometry than something I'm doing wrong? That's reassuring haha.

I was hoping to offset the surface a little to making it thicker and easier to 3d print but if I'm not able to switch to prismatic, I'll just have to use more support structure when printing. Should I still be able to create a base model though that I can build from? I'd like to add mounts for the legs to the underside of this shell if possible.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 16

This meshes only similarity with the problem posted by the OP is the name of the extension.

It would have been better to create a new thread!

This is not a mesh representing prismatic geometry, so that .stl conversion won't work.

People that have experience in Sub-D modeling will likely recognize that this .stl was not created by the usual CAD to .stl conversion algorithms , but is basically a triangulated quad mesh initially created as aa Sub-D model.

In Blender you can take such a mesh and with "tris-to-quads" can clean a good bit of it up and then with some more manual work this can be turned back into the original quad mesh. That then can be re-imported into Fusion 360 can turned into a T-Spline and then a smooth NURBS model.

TrippyLighting_0-1627996799004.png

TrippyLighting_1-1627996836479.png

TrippyLighting_2-1627996878719.png

EESignature

Message 13 of 16

Wow thank you so much for the detailed response. You helped a ton. And sorry about hijacking the thread, I just got excited after googling for a bit with no luck when I saw something similar 🙂

Thanks again, I'm going to download this model as reference but also work through this same workflow so that I can be comfortable with the process as well. I'm pretty new to mesh / sub d modeling so I really appreciate your help.

Message 14 of 16
qsimon
in reply to: MingweiGao

Oh my god I have been researching this for hours now and this video shows it to me perfectly in 30 sec. Thank you.

Message 15 of 16
matifJMW
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hello, @TrippyLightning can you please make a small video on it. i am having the similar issues with converting the modified twist drill which is make in Helitronic Tool studio 3. i will be really grateful for that thanks.

Message 16 of 16
TrippyLighting
in reply to: matifJMW

That mesh geometry is of relatively poor quality (too little resolution) and unlikely to convert with any of the present methods. 

I would model it with the native solid and surface modeling tools in Fusion .

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report