Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push Pull gives wrong Result

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
docara
582 Views, 6 Replies

Push Pull gives wrong Result

Hi

I have a problem with the Push Pull comman.

I have created a design which I want to reduce the overall width of a body by 1mm total. Now I hit Q choose a face and move as per normal I enter a value (-0.5). I now measure across the faces expecting to see 16.5mm but I get 16.8mm. If I enter -1 the result is 16.3mm

I have included just the exported body - please ignore the yellow boxes they're not evident in the 'proper' original design but the behaviour is identical in both. 

Any ideas

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
laughingcreek
in reply to: docara

you didn't indicate which face, and nothing seems to match the value you gave, so it's hard to know where your talking about in your file-

but

I suspect it has something to do with this setting in press pull-

laughingcreek_0-1597243419556.png

Ideally you would set this model up in a way that all these values can be changed and adjusted by changing a dimension in a sketch, and not by adding more features to the timeline.  you appear to be basically using DM modeling techniques in a model with the time line on.  that's fine, but does tend to get messy over time and can cause weird user imposed errors to creep into a design.  

Message 3 of 7
docara
in reply to: laughingcreek

Hi laughingCreek

As mentioned I just pulled this out of my working drawing and its something quick and dirty.

Here is a side view and dimension

Capture.PNG

I want this to be 16mm so I tried to Push Pull -0.5mm on each of these faces.

Message 4 of 7
docara

Update 

Interestingly the Update face does achieve what I want but why didn't PushPull?

Message 5 of 7
laughingcreek

press pull behaves the way your expecting if you change the type from "automatic" to "new offset".  right now it's trying to modify a previous feature (which is why it's starting with -.3mm as the value).  if you don't change it to "new offset", it will change it relative to a point that is .3mm away from where it currently is.

Message 6 of 7
docara
in reply to: laughingcreek

Ah! Thank you I understand now.

Eating a some humble pie again concerning your first comment. If I created the component properly I wouldn't have come across this.

Message 7 of 7
TrippyLighting

@docara wrote:

Ah! Thank you I understand now.

Eating a some humble pie again concerning your first comment. If I created the component properly I wouldn't have come across this.

Yea, but you would not have learned this eitern 😉

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report