Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting to sketch, only one at time & dialog shows 0 selected,

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
209 Views, 1 Reply

Projecting to sketch, only one at time & dialog shows 0 selected,

I'm confused about the project/include function. 

I've drawn an initial sketch, and then create offset planes for each component. I create a sketch on the new plane and project the lines, curves, etc. from the original sketch as needed so I can work with them as a starting point on the new component. 

It works but I suspect I'm doing something quite wrong here. First, I have to select each line individually. That alone suggests I'm off. Second, The dialog that comes up with project: always lists "Geometry:" as 0. 

(new to cad, missing basic concepts)

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous, this is actually a pretty good question.  You are not misunderstanding anything.  Project works one click at a time.  As soon as you click on something, it is immediately projected into the sketch, then the command continues.  Each click also creates a separate undo event, so that if you project 4 curves, there are 4 "Project" items in the undo stack.  This is, admittedly, different from a lot of other Fusion commands, which tend to have a workflow where you select what you need, then click OK to actually execute the command.  Project is different.  I know we did this for a reason, but for the life of me, I can't remember for sure what it was.  My vague recollection is that this command is usually used to project just a few items, and so the prefereable workflow would be to just click, click, then finish.

But, your question has made me wonder...  I am going to bring this up with our team and see if we really want to keep this workflow or reconsider it.

Someone also recently pointed out that Cancel today in Project is wonky.  It doesn't cancel anything in the current model.  If you project 3 edges, then hit Cancel, it just ends the command.  There is no difference between OK and Cancel.

It's surprising that no one else has really noticed these inconsistencies until recently.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report