Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected slot sketch to surface isnt a profile to extrude

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rickjohnston
737 Views, 9 Replies

Projected slot sketch to surface isnt a profile to extrude

Hi All.

I have searched this forum and managed to get this far but now stuck on how to proceed. I projected slot sketch to surface but isnt a profile to perform an extrude on? The projected lines of the curved slot on the face are now control point splines? See picture: Arc_Cut_Slot.jpg

1. Faces of project

2. Slot Profile

Results are as expected the purple sketch object on the faces.

So question is how can on now extrude this into a cut feature? It is not a profile tried making point coincident but get error that it is over constrained.

I cannot use the extrude slot from surface as the slot on the ends cuts all the way through.

TIA!

Rick...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: rickjohnston

Hi,

try the Emboss* tool and select „Deboss“ option.

günther

* CREATE > Emboss

Message 3 of 10
jhackney1972

Here is an example of @g-andresen said would be a good method.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 10

If you want Extrude then you don't need to project. Just set the start to Object and select the surface to extrude from.

HughesTooling_0-1619550822729.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

Reading your post again I think you want a pocket so as above but into the body.

HughesTooling_0-1619551049056.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
jeff_strater

Just FYI - Profiles in Fusion are only 2D.  So, any profile-based commands (Extrude, Revolve, etc) can only consume 2D profiles.  However, as @HughesTooling , @jhackney1972  and @g-andresen point out, there are other features that can consume 3D geometry.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 10

Thanks @HughesTooling I tried that my results do not apply the curve and just simply a straight cut like so:

Arc_Cut_Slot_Offset.jpg

It does however seem to be applied to your face selected or am I not seeing the model correctly?

Message 8 of 10

@rickjohnston  Can you share the design? Export as an f3d and attach. If not can you get a screenshot showing the extrude dialog and more of the part. Only thing that stands out is there's a seam in the middle of the area where you want the slot, not sure if that might cause a problem.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

Thanks again everyone. I just now noticed somehow that inside face has been split (just as @HughesTooling noticed) and I will need to investigate how it happened and/or recreate the model.

Message 10 of 10

Split Face is not needed.

You can Extrude to offset of the cylindrical face.

You would get much better help by Attaching example file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report