Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems combining or cutting coils

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
148 Views, 2 Replies

Problems combining or cutting coils

Hi everybody

See attached pic - I have two opposing coils here. They share the same axis, height, pitch and profile but start 180 degrees apart. By opposing, I mean that one travels clockwise, and the other counter-clockwise.

I want to use one to cut the other. Using the combine/intersect tool throws up a Boolean operation error. I've also tried to cut one coil using a profile and coil-path sweep which results in the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

Kev

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Combine > Intersect works here, will result in a Diamond shaped landing. 

Make one and pattern it.

cdpwt.PNG

Might help....

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dave

Thank you. I tried this and it didn't work. I think it's got to do with inconsistencies in the geometry - perhaps the complexity of the coil?

Anyway, I solved it by increasing the inner and outer diameters of the counter-clockwise (cutting tool) coil so that the surfaces on the opposing coils were not so closely aligned. All fixed.

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report