Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Fillet on Object Built from SVG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cmstewart21
418 Views, 9 Replies

Problem with Fillet on Object Built from SVG

I am designing a guitar bridge (for acoustic guitar) and on the back of it, there is a carved out strip for the strings to enter (a string-thru bridge design). I am calling this the 'deck', and I want the floor of it and the walls around to have a fillet -- just a curve instead of a corner as the transition upward.

When I use the fillet tool, it won't work across the whole deck. At the moment I can't get any of it to work with the fillet tool. I have attached screenshots of it, in case that helps. I don't yet know how to attach the file (I am new to F360 and I am using the 'Not For Commercial Use' version). 

Please let me know if there's anything you think I could do that might help. This is one of the last steps to finishing this, and it would be a huge help. I have uploaded the photos to this post (I didn't know how to embed them, sorry).

Labels (5)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

you better post the 3d model so we can figure out the issue.

from my guess its a not very clean sketch line/curve that cause the issue. I recommend to retrace the sketch using the sketch tools rather then relying on the SVG geometry

Message 3 of 10
laughingcreek
in reply to: cmstewart21

to attach a model, export  it as a .f3d file and attach at bottom of a post.

svg's are notoriously problematic in fusion.  my guess is that your's contains "near tangent" conditions between sketch segments, which is causing the fillet to fail.

Message 4 of 10
cmstewart21

Thanks for the tips. This started as a hand-drawing, then I scanned it, then traced it in Affinity designer, edited it in Corel Draw, and now I've 3D-ized it in Fusion. So, I'm really not an expert in any of that, and re-drawing it in Fusion sounds dauting (since I'm already really happy with the shape, and would hate to screw it up).

I don't really know the solution if there are "near tangent" segments (or how to recognize that). I know there are a number of different segments along the curve though (there had to be, to get this to plot correctly as a vector). This is all new to me. The error I'm getting is: "Error: The fillet/chamfer could not be created at the requested size. This might be occurring at the ends of the selected edges. Try adjusting the size or using multiple separate operations. Check that the selected edge chain ends at a sensible position, and if not try selecting more edges."

I've attached the f3d file, so you can view it. Thanks for taking the time to help!

- Colby

Message 5 of 10
wmhazzard

The curvature comb analysis shows just how bad the shape is, I don't think I have ever seen one so bad. All of the edges are near tangent since when starting the fillet tool you have to select every edge by itself, even with the tangent edges option turned on. You don't have a sketch to work with now since you created a base feature so the only way to fix this will be to modify what you have or start over. I would start over but if a slight dimension change is OK, a little material can be cut away to fix the curve so it can be filleted.   

If you have tangent constraints in your sketch between arcs and lines, you will most likely have a successful fillet. 

Also all of those moves are bad practice. Get into the habit of creating components and bodies in their intended positions and referenced to the origin.  

See the attached model. 

Screenshot 2022-10-08 233420.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-08 235250.jpg 

Message 6 of 10
cmstewart21
in reply to: wmhazzard

Hey, thank you for the help.

I guess I still have a lot to learn about what makes things "tangent" and how to accomplish that. I know what it means from high school geometry (with respect to circles) but I guess in complicated shapes I'm still a bit lost. But I appreciate how honest you were and it will be something I will look to master. 

Since this came from other programs, I really didn't know how to edit it in Fusion anyway. I guess that wasn't the best way to do it.

Is it possible for me to edit the shape you created? It's actually almost perfect, but there are a few changes I would need to make. It's about 0.8mm deeper, so I would like to bring it back a little (as much as I can while still surrounding the old shape) and then edit the final curve on the sides to be pointing almost straight back, nearly parallel to each other. I tried moving it back, but don't seem to know how to, or if I'll mess up the constraints (and end up with the same problems). 

I appreciate your help a lot.

- Colby

Message 7 of 10
cmstewart21

There is also one other issue I can't seem to solve (which probably has similar issues, since this whole design was done the same way). On one of the 'steps' at the front there is a corner where a small fragment is sticking up, like an antenna. It's tiny, but it exists because when I was trying to fillet that edge, this tiny segment would prevent it from happening. I tried everything I knew to do, and couldn't edit that segment. So I extruded it a bit, and then the rest of that allowed the fillet to work.

Now, having extruded that piece, it's just sticking out/up. Do you know of a way for me to cut it off? I could just do it myself after carving this out. But if it's possible to get rid of it here, that would obviously be a better solution.

I've attached a couple photos of it.

Message 8 of 10
g-andresen

Hi,

As long as the quality of the base sketch is poor, you will have problems with the following actions as well.
Even if you could edit imported sketches in Fusion afterwards (with great effort and appropriate experience), it is better to create them right here in the form of constrained contours.

günther

Message 9 of 10
wmhazzard

Working in Fusion the way that you are will just make using the program much harder than it would be if you work the ay the program was intended to work. 

I would stop what you are doing and start watching beginner Youtube videos to get the basics down and create everything that you need directly in Fusion. Outside graphics programs rarely work well inside Fusion. 

On the protruding part, you may be able to select the faces by holding ctrl and left clicking on the faces and hitting delete but it would be better to model where things like that don't happen. 

In order to modify the sketch that I created, you need to edit the sketch, select the fix/unfix tool and unfix the green points which will allow you to move the curves. 

Message 10 of 10
cmstewart21
in reply to: wmhazzard

Okay. I modeled this as a vector before even knowing what Fusion 360 was. So although I accept your advice, I can't change the past and the way this happened. I can only do my best to finish this project, and next time consider how things will work in Fusion (like I said, I didn't even know fusion existed a month ago).

So I hear you. But for now, since I am 98% of the way done with this project, I don't have a need to redo it. The only thing left is to get rid of the last thing I shared to you. Of course, for anything in the future, I will think through it with Fusion in mind.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report