Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem exporting to STEP files from the Parametric Mode.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
750 Views, 9 Replies

Problem exporting to STEP files from the Parametric Mode.

Dear Fuision team,

I think there is a problem with the exporting of STEP (stp ) files from the Parametric Mode. While the STL files could be saved at high resolution successfully without the T Spline and Patch Surfaces;  The STP files exported contain T-Spline and Patch surfaces that had been converted into solids successfully. Traces of those bodies there were hiddened at the parametric mode actually showed up at the mold makers' CAD softwares. Some 3D CAD viewers could also see those surfaces. I always had to Archive a parametric version of the design. Then stop recording, delete all the surfaces that already converted into solids (I know parametric mode needs those surfaces for history recording). Then a clean STP file could be exported. I only kept the parametric files in my local drive. The Autodesk cloud only has the DM files.

The SAVE as STL function actually did a pretty good job of isolating those T Splines and Patch surfaces, but STP is doing very badly. Since I am using Fusion360 to design products for plastic manufacturing STPs are important. Would it be fixed later? I cannot attach a file here since all these are for retailing purposes. You can try to make a complex parametric file and then export that to STP. Use other software to view those stps, you will get the idea. Not everybody are using 3D printing only. 3D printing is only good for rapid prototyping at this time. Using 3D printing to make commercial products actually cost more than 10 times the costs of using Molding methods

This is the capability of Fusion 360 that members might not had noticed before. Only members in the plastic manufacturing industries that needed stp files will notice.

Thanks for studying this case.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

But I can send a Download link of the parametric file, and its stp. The DM file and its stp. Plus screen shots of the two stp files from a third party 3D Viewer. Please send me an email address. I do not think the PM section here allows download link.
Message 3 of 10
Phil.E

Kingson,

I'll send you an email privately to get the links.

I've tried to reproduce this using Fusion 360 and Inventor. All the STP files I create have no trace of the Sculpt bodies. I need to see your data to understand the problem.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Phil, I forgot to mention in my email. Both flowers were inserts.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Since I already sent files to Phil and the team to study, I will close this topic for the time being.

Message 6 of 10
Phil.E

Thanks Kingson. I've received all your data and details. I will try to have a response to this thread with results by end of day Friday.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil, thanks for the time to study this situation. I know it is a bit hard to reproduce the symptoms. In fact just as I told you in my many emails, it was the 3D printer (HK3DPrint Limited) that told me about the problems with the STP file. Otherwise I would never had known that. I am archiving most of my parametric files now and re-exporting most of the important STP for injection mold layouts from the DM mode for peace of mind. I accepted my simple response as "Accepted Solution" since this is not really a problem but something that might take a little time to solve on many levels. I just closed this particular post.

Thanks anyway. 

From your friend, Kingson 

Message 8 of 10
Phil.E

Actually I don't need to wait.

I had asked the QA team in Shanghai if they had time to look at the issue and it turns out they know it well.

Nicolas and Jerry reported to me that the issue you describe is actually currently as-designed. Thanks and kudos to Nicolas and Jerry!!

We have found that users are surprised to find the invisible bodies in the STEP exports, much like you, and we've decided to change the behavior. In the next major release this problem should go away. Anything that is not visible will not be exported.

This is actually in keeping with the Fusion experience: when objects are visible they generally participate (joins, cuts, etc) and also the opposite. So when invisible bodies appear in STEP output it is inconsistent with the majority of the Fusion experience.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm always glad to hear from you and see the beautiful work you do with Fusion!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Dear Phil, Thanks for believing in me. I seldom brought up discussions unless I tested the symptoms myself. Sorry about so many emails because it was kind of Early In the Morning ( 4am +) and my eyes and fingers were kind of not synchronizing completely!

Well thanks to Fusion and the great team behind it, Fusion built me into a (good ?) designer. Now I have a brand name designed by me!

This is really an accepted solution that you posted just now, and big big kudos to you! Of course big Kudos to the Shanghai Team and the worldwide development team! Those guys are great! In fact I also knew Jake the UX designer, he is great!

Have fun developing all your future plans!

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

HI Phil, 

I am happy to inform you that the STP export from the parametric mode had been fixed in this new update. A screen shot is attached here. Thanks everyone for listening!

This model had been exported into STP from its Parametric File. From now on I do not have to clean up the file in the DM mode anymore. This file was viewed with a third party CAD viewer which I used to check stl, stp and other files. As well as obtaining the dimension of the file (I think it is easier for me to use this CAD viewer to get the dimension of the file):

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 7.42.12 am.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report