Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing a component for 3D Printing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cedricmartin
3542 Views, 6 Replies

Preparing a component for 3D Printing

I have four separate components designed that I want to send to be 3D printed.

However, I have not done this in the past and so I am unsure of the correct steps to take.

Can anyone give me some instruction, or perhaps point me to a video that will explain the process.

Thank you in advance,

Cedric

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: cedricmartin

Depends on the design, 

for each body to print, right mouse click the body in the browser, in the menu, select Save to Stl, Fusion may take a while, will present a blue and black preview, check the options on this dialogue, 

ok, or next, will bring up the file save box for you to nominate the save location, 

Rinse and repeat, the other three bodies.

Again depending on the design, you can right mouse click the top browser entry, and the whole design will be saved as stl, from this location.

Might help...

Message 3 of 7

In addition to @davebYYPCU post it might not worth mentioning that if your design contains more than one body, you might want to  right-click the top level element in the browser window, choose Save as STL and select On File Per Body. Otherwise all your bodies are saved in on STL file and you can't arrange them in your slicer anymore. 

Message 4 of 7
jodom4
in reply to: lichtzeichenanlage

You might want to take my free Intermediate 3D Printing class on Instructables. It covers tolerances, orientation, and support structures, which are important best practices when designing for 3D printing in Fusion.

https://www.instructables.com/class/Intermediate-3D-Printing-Class/

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 5 of 7
cedricmartin
in reply to: davebYYPCU

To: davebYYPCU,

Dave, please excuse my lack of reply to your answer, Re: Preparing a component for 3D printing.

I do apologize, but my wife has been very sick lately and that has not allowed me time to do some of the things I should be doing.

Your answer definitely put me on the right track and now that my wife is getting better, I will hopefully be able to get back to my 3D Printing project.

Again, I am very sorry for my apparent lack of Community Etiquette and I will certainly do better next time.

Cedric.
Message 6 of 7

lichtzeichenanlage,

Thank you for your reply to my question about preparing a component for 3D Printing.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but some family issues have taken all of my time lately.

However, your comment regarding keeping only one component of an assembly to each file was very useful.

I really appreciate your suggestion and I also appreciate your involvement in the community. It takes people like you, to get people like me out of trouble from time to time.

Again, thanks!

Cedric

Message 7 of 7
cedricmartin
in reply to: jodom4

Jonathan,

I have now started in on your Intermediate 3D Printing class on Instructables. Your class is very informative and because of it, I have now invested in my own 3D Printer.

Thank you for replying to my question! If you had not, I may not have taken the plunge into the world of 3D Printing.

Again, thank you!

Cedric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report