Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Coping Question

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
oregondunerz
289 Views, 4 Replies

Pipe Coping Question

I have a tube coping issue that I am trying to solve.  I created 2 lines in a sketch and used the Pipe tool to create a tube profile onto each of the tubes.  Then I created a coping profile onto 1 of the tubes.  The degree of the cope will vary and so the overall length of the tube will also need to lengthen or shorten depending on the angle given or else it starts removing features that I do not want to be removed.  See the attached pics for reference.  Pic 1 is a 90° cope and you can see the distance from the valley of the cope to the cutout in the body of the tube is large, let's call it 1" for this example.  Pic 2 is a 45° cope and you can see that the coping profile extends all the way down to my cutout and any more angle will result in the cope to eliminate the cutout altogether.  Is there a way to parametrically constraint this so that regardless of the angle it will always result in a gap between the cope and cutout that is consistent?  Hope this makes sense!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pavmed
in reply to: oregondunerz

The solution depends on whether you've already got that tube with cutouts or you design and model it alongside with tubes coping.

Is the latter is the case then you just build sketch where not only draw your pipe centerlines but also consider pipe diameters and distance from cope to cutout feature. See that 35 mm distance for example

pavmed_0-1682495324518.png

Message 3 of 5
pavmed

same sketch as above with just an angle changed 

pavmed_1-1682495396621.png

Message 4 of 5
oregondunerz

This worked flawlessly, thank you @pavmed!  It so funny, I can get stuck on a workflow for hours.  Then I ask a question and the answer is so simple that I feel like a dummy for not coming up with it myself.  This was one of those times, thanks a million!

Message 5 of 5
pavmed

Thats what forums are for - making us all feel dumb from time to time 😆

BTW. What is your workflow with this pipes? do you model that for laser/plasma cutter?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report