Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perspective line drawings

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
james.mattson
5900 Views, 25 Replies

Perspective line drawings

I understand that the drawing workspace only supports orthographic views of your model. I am trying to create assembly instructions for a product and would like to be able to create perspective view line drawings. Ultimately they will be cleaned up in Adobe Illustrator and then used as a part of a InDesign file. Does anyone have a good workflow for creating these inside or outside of Fusion360? 

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
SaeedHamza
in reply to: james.mattson

If you want it as a perspective, then just render a picture in the render workspace and then download it as a transparent background .png

Message 3 of 26
james.mattson
in reply to: SaeedHamza

I'm trying to get vector line drawings ultimately. Also the rendering environment is for models only, not animations. For assembly instructions I usually have to explode the model to show which part goes where. Which is why i'd like the drawing workspace to do what I need.

Message 4 of 26
SaeedHamza

To get a vector image, you can use Inkscape to transform a .png for example into a vector image

As for the assembly instructions, you're right, it can't be shown in the model environment, but there are plenty of ways to show how an assembly works, like the animation workspace, but if you're looking for a drawing to show the assembly instructions, then you'll have to use the ortho view

One solution (not recommended for being a drag) is to create a perspective view, and then use photoshop with creating guide lines with the other parts

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

@james.mattson wrote:

I am trying to create assembly instructions for a product and would like to be able to create perspective view line drawings.

Not sure about misunderstandings/terminology. Should it be something similar to this?

explosionsdarstellung.PNG

Message 6 of 26
james.mattson
in reply to: Anonymous

Here are two examples of the same camera view. One screen grab is from the drawing environment, the other is from the model environment. I want line drawings, with the view the model environment has. Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 1.09.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-26 at 1.09.22 PM.png

Message 7 of 26
cmiller66

Hi James,

Thanks for the post. I see you commented on the IdeaStation suggestion for this: Perspective view in Drawings.  You are correct, currently we support Isometric views (or custom named views from the model) but not perspective.  I will re-forward this request to the team.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 8 of 26
james.mattson
in reply to: cmiller66

Thank you. I would love it if Fusion could do this, but in the mean time I was wondering what other people have done in the past to create perspective drawings. I've downloaded the trial of Inventor and it will do the job, but it's a bit much just to make some drawings. 

Message 9 of 26

@james.mattson

Something like this?

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 10 of 26

Yes something like that.

Message 11 of 26

@james.mattson

In the viewport set these two settings and take a screen grab and use that in illustrator to trace the bitmap. This is about as close as your going to get with Fusion right now.

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 12 of 26
bsmith
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

There is a workaround. I export the model as an SAT file, import into 3DS Max, and render using the "Finaltoon" plugin. 

This gives me the perspective view that exports into Adobe Illustrator as a vector.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: bsmith

Guys, the workaround with image tracing / screen grab/3ds max with plug-in etc seem a little clunky tbh.

Easier Workaround:

You could just go into the front perspective and - instead of rotating the camera - with one transform rotate the whole thing towards your fixed front perspective until it matches your desired viewing angle. Then you can chose front perspective once you are in Drawing mode and make use of the normal export features!

Message 14 of 26
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

That makes it perspective instead of orthographic?  can you show an example?

Message 15 of 26
FormStudio
in reply to: cmiller66

This is a much needed feature. I have looked at the link and it has a lot of community support. Has there been any progress on it?

Thanks

Message 16 of 26
danjel
in reply to: FormStudio

Autodesk, it has been more than 5 years since people have been asking for perspective view in drawings and still nothing?

Message 17 of 26
b_ruijter

Everyting looks better in perspective. Please autodesk FIX this. 

Message 18 of 26

I regularly need to export a vector line drawing from a projected perspective view. Quite honestly, this needs to just work like it has in Solidworks for 15 or so years, which is the following:

Orient your model in the 3D design workspace and set you view to perspective.

Store a new named view of your current view (I have done this already in Fusion hoping to get what I want)

Save current file and setup

Enter the drawing workspace, and enter a drawing view that has your named view selected.

In SW, by default here, it will remember that you wanted perspective.

Now export in whatever vector format you want.

For me, it is usually .dwg and then import into illustrator to clean up and minimize lines.

FUSION 360 !!!! MAKE THIS ONE HAPPEN !!!! THIS IS WAAAAY TO LONG OVERDUE FOR SOFTWARE I AM PAYING FOR....

Message 19 of 26

This is not "solved". Perspective views in drawings should be a basic included feature. How many more years is it going to take to add this? 

Really unhappy to have spent money on this software and have it lack such a basic thing. I used Inventor professionally for 7 years but now I'm working for myself and can't swing $2000, and Fusion has done everything I've needed so far. I need to send an accurate PDF in perspective to a vinyl cutter, so the workarounds suggested in this thread aren't going to cut it.

Message 20 of 26
alan
in reply to: nathan.james.wells

Fusion 360 team, this is an essential and basic feature for many of us. I can't imagine it is that difficult to implement. Can you please put this on your roadmap and implement in 2023?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report