Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch Geometry Problem

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mooreco88
415 Views, 9 Replies

Patch Geometry Problem

I am struggling to get a patch to work on the headstock/volute transition on a guitar neck that I am trying to model, then machine with my CNC.  The problem starts I believe with the geometry that I am trying to patch to.  I used the project/intersection curve feature to create a curved line for the volute as well as the headstock profile and when I created those lines I noticed that some of the points have a black dot in the center and some do not, so some of the surfaces are not closed.  When I try to create my patch from the neck to the volute area it will allow me to select the three extruded surfaces that I want to use but then I cannot select the projected curve.  The curser will not allow me to click on them and the "OK" button stays greyed out on the patch command.  Below is an image of the area I'm trying to patch.  I have also attached my fusion 360 file, if there is someone that could kindly take a look, hopefully I'm missing something simple. I am fairly new at this. 

Thanks in advance!

mooreco88_0-1665491980326.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
davebYYPCU
in reply to: mooreco88

Your file crashes my system (twice).  Align command position in the timeline.

Message 3 of 10
mooreco88
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks for looking, what do you mean by align command position in
timeline? What do you recommend I try to do?
Message 4 of 10
davebYYPCU

Well, I was just walking along the timeline, and there is what looks like an Align ws used not too far from the middle of the timeline.  Tried 2 different ways to get past the Align, and both crashed.

For your problem question, you need individual sketch lines around the perimeter of the required Patch.  You have 3 dummy surfaces, use them, and hide any sketch that would be underlying the surface edge you want to use.

If that does not help, resave and export the file and I will try again.

Might help...

Message 5 of 10
MingweiGao
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I can reproduce the crash after move the End Maker to the end of timeline and I will log a defect to track it.

Back to the boundary issue, it seems the curves are not continuous in some areas. It means I cannot select the expected loop curves one by one. For example, the attached picture shows two areas for discontinuous curves.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Principal Quality Assurance Engineer

Message 6 of 10
TrippyLighting

I believe you need to rethink your modeling approach if halfway decent surface quality and tangency to adjacent faces is desired. In the current form the boundary patch will not result in a good surface. 

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
mooreco88

Thanks everyone for your replies/tips.  After reading your comments I realized my file crashes my system as well when I try to move to the end of my timeline.  I decided to start from scratch and re-draw my sketches in a new file.  This time I fixed some small issues that I believe I had and my patch worked as I had intended originally.  This led to a new issue for me though.  After all the surfaces were created in my headstock I tried to stitch them together and the stitch failed. There are a few red lines that are still open, the center of the part is hollow, and there are black geometry lines that I shouldn't see.  Any ideas on how to fix this one?

I have uploaded my new file if you could take a look.  Thanks again!

mooreco88_0-1665661828430.pngmooreco88_1-1665661886178.pngmooreco88_2-1665661932331.png

Message 8 of 10
davebYYPCU

This curvy front bit of body 9 will not stitch across this gap.

cbbndb.PNG

wiwdwtDB.PNGwiwdwtDB.PNG

What I would do with this geometry.

Might help....

Message 9 of 10
mooreco88

Thanks everyone. That worked perfectly davebYYPCU.  The only thing that still shows is the black sketch lines and outline on the model.  Is there any way to hide those?

Message 10 of 10
davebYYPCU

Turn off the Eyeball for the sketches folder / sketch as required.

Set Visual Display, to Shaded.

(Bottom Menu > Visual Display > Shaded) TV icon 3rd from right.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report