Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasted a New Component into new file - Sketches will be always rotated around 45degrees?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
docchaos
337 Views, 8 Replies

Pasted a New Component into new file - Sketches will be always rotated around 45degrees?

Hi,

I copy and pasted a component into a new file.
Whenever i try to add a new sketch onto the surface of the Component - it will be rotated about 45°.
When i hover just on the workingplane its actually in the right direction.

Same happens if i export it for as DXF or whatever, the exported file will then be rotated around 45°.

I cant figure what i have done wrong or where i have wrong (hidden) constraints?

2 Screenshots attached - first  is when i hover over the surface. second is when i create a sketch and hover over the workspace.

Thank you SO much!
workspace_hoversurface.jpgworkspace_norotation.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
g-andresen
in reply to: docchaos

Hi,

Please share the file.

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the next post.

günther

Message 3 of 9
docchaos
in reply to: g-andresen

Hey, Thanks for taking the time, i just uploaded it in the same time 😄
Message 4 of 9
TrippyLighting

This is indeed very odd.

Can you explain how that component was initially created?

Are you aware that your design does not have the timeline enabled?

@jeff_strater 

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
dsouzasujay

@docchaos 

When you copy paste, the component axes were changed.
Basically there are two axes, one is Model level(View Cube) and another Component level.

While Copy Paste new, move the body according to Model level to see the same planes/view.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/90b61913-8a9a-46b1-9d15-0a56747f3227

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 9
docchaos
in reply to: TrippyLighting

The Timeline is disabled by intention. I do this whenever i copy components and or sketches into a new file. From there i usally enable it back again and start constructions.

Initially it was created in another file, based on components made of aluminium, but their originl and worksplanes are like when i hover over the workspace and not the surface.

I can create and daw sketches in the original file and the alignment and orientation for them is ok.

Whenever i copy any part/component into a new file its rotated about 45°.

I had a solution like redifining the sketch plane - but this can not be the solution or the origin of the problem. I simply wonder why it is OFF-Aligned whenever i add a new sketch to a newly pasted component in a new file.

Message 7 of 9
docchaos
in reply to: dsouzasujay

@dsouzasujay wrote:

@docchaos 

....While Copy Paste new, move the body according to Model level to see the same planes/view.

Can you point me to how to do this correctly? 

because the "cube" is aligned the same way as the fresh new pasted component:

paste new.jpg

Message 8 of 9
dsouzasujay

Check the Screncast video

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
laughingcreek

yeah, weird.  the component seems to have some memory stuck in it from where it was created maybe.  stranger is that behavior this survives being exporter and reimported as a step.

the component reverts to normal behavior if you do pretty much anything with it though.

-in the screen cast I aligned a plane of the component with  a plane of the model, and it started working right.

-I also tried just making a new sketch on a plane (not the body), and then deleted it, and everything started working right.

there is a bug from long long ago where the axis of a sketch would flip after creation that to my knowledge has never been addressed.  Even though this doesn't present exactly the same, it really feels related.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report