Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent/child relationships; components and bodies.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Max_Marz
3480 Views, 3 Replies

Parent/child relationships; components and bodies.

If someone could explain something to me real quick...

If you use the move/copy tool to create a copy of a component and then you create a feature on the original component the feature becomes present on the copied component.
Can someone explain to me what function is driving this and how it can be viewed or controlled?

Scenario: I have these four brackets here and for the sake of discussion I have not used the move/copy command to produce them with the aforementioned parent/child relationship. All the brackets will be identical however I need to add some holes to them, I would like to create the features on one component and have them propagate to the others.

When using the move copy command there doesn't appear to be a way to see what the relationships are. 
What is the typical (bidirectional) workflow here?
Are my only options to delete>modify>re-copy or leverage the parametric timeline?

Parent relationships.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Beyondforce
in reply to: Max_Marz

Hey @Max_Marz ,

I think my last video will help you, and if not, then please let me know:

https://youtu.be/UJqV_JT0Ll8

Cheers / Ben.

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 3 of 4
Max_Marz
in reply to: Beyondforce

Great video, answered my question immediately. One thing I noticed while watching though is that you can also identify their relationships by the name Screw:1 and Screw:2 are linked Screw:1 and Screw (1):1 are not meaning you can have multiple components of an identical name if they are linked components! Very good distinction!
The number after the colon is the number of *linked identical copies in the component*

Message 4 of 4
Beyondforce
in reply to: Max_Marz

I'm glad I could help. 👍

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report