Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric shelving element - trouble with extrude

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
254 Views, 2 Replies

Parametric shelving element - trouble with extrude

I'm trying to make a design of mine largely parametric. It's a shelving rack based around large holes that containers sit into. I'd like to be able to adjust the number of holes and have the design update accordingly. I've managed to achieve this to an extent, but when I change the number down, then back up again, the extrude doesn't adopt the extra holes, although they do show in the sketch. The holes are created in the sketch by an array and the length of the component driven by this formula: 'd * n + ( sp * ( n - 1 ) ) + 2 * spe', which equates to hole diameters+spacing in between+ space at end.

As you can see from the screen shot, when I go from 5 to 7 holes, the extrude doesn't pick up the extra parts of the sketch, even if they were working originally. 

Can anyone suggest a fix or different workflow that might work better to create the holes?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

that´s an expected behavior.

Pattern the feature (hole) and not the sketch element.

You'll understand it when you look at the timeline. The Extrude Cut feature is located behind the sketch.
If the number of circles is changed, the Extrude tool doesn't know that it should cut the added elements.

To do: create 1 circle > extrude cut > create pattern* (feature) >  select feature in timeline

günther

* SOLID > CREATE > Pattern

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Great, that's much better, thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report