Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric repeating pattern misbehaves after rotation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
310 Views, 4 Replies

Parametric repeating pattern misbehaves after rotation

I created a parametric Tooth/Notch joint component which misbehaves when inserted in a new project and unlinked.

It is essentially a component made up of a variable number of teeth so that they span a total length of JointLen plus 2 Notch0Lengths without teeth at the extremes.

JointLen = 2 * Notch0Len + (2* nTeeth -1) * ToothLen

The component parameters are

• JointLen = total length of joint
  • ToothLen = minimum length of each tooth and notch (excluding first and last)
  • Notch0Len = minimum length of first and last notch
  • FixTorN = fix length of Tooth or of Notch0

The correct and validated formulas are:

Nteeth
floor((JointLen+ToothLen-2*Notch0Len)/(2*ToothLen))
ActualToothLen
(1-FixTorN)*ToothLen+FixTorN*(JointLen-2*Notch0Len)/(2*Nteeth-1)
ActualNotchLen
(1-FixTorN)*(JointLen-ToothLen*(2*Nteeth-1))/2+FixTorN*Notch0Len

I attach the screencast of the creation of the parametric component. https://autode.sk/2V1r2uO

The problem arises after I insert the component in another project and unlink it. At this point, when I rotate the component around its origin and change the input parameters, the Repeating Pattern gives odd results. See attached screencast. https://autode.sk/2VgYyfr

I'm lost.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Couple of things just out of the video.

Rotate when it arrives, avoids the next one, 

Capture Position, is waiting

You used Move after arrival, it should be captured, and may contribute to the pattern’s confusion.

Might help....

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thank you.

not sure I understand what you mean. Anyway I tried something around what you say and the following workflow works:

Insert

Rotate

Unlink

Then all parameter edits have the expected result, as long as i don't rotate the component any more.

SO, my question is: how can I have all the construction rotate with the component later on, should I decide to rotate it and subsequently change parameters again?

Message 4 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you missed the point.  Capture the positions - as you go.

In the video you insert, accept the incoming position.  All good.

Then you rotate, (which could have been done originally)

Right through the video, there is a waiting Capture position action, (you may not be aware of)  because you rotated it as a separate move.

Changing the parameters while the Capture is pending, Fusion takes that as a refusal / decline  / cancel the Capture opportunity.and places the new tabs as if it has not been rotated yet.  Reducing the number of tabs is ok because there is no rebuild - as far as I could see.

Unlinking is not contributing, has to be done to allow parameter changing.

Has more to do with Capture Position pending.  Accept and all should be dandy, continue without accepting, is a decline, and revert.

All components are free to move (until prevented) by accident or intention, the Capture / Revert is to remind you that you want to keep current position or not.  (Wake up call)

So if you are adding to this component, new bodies combined etc, the Component should behave as expected.

Might help....

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I see what you mean, and actually in various tests I did I also tried to capture every time, with no success. But don't take my word for it. I will try again and screencast in a few hours. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report