Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint select behaviour

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
LMD001
1614 Views, 3 Replies

Paint select behaviour

Hello Fusion 360 Team,

Is it correct that Paint Select does not function in Parametric Modelling (in Direct Modelling Paint Select seems to work as expected), I can not select a face and start dragging the mouse, if I start to paint outside the body then the faces are selected.

I must be missing something here.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Ludo

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: LMD001

Hi Ludo,

No, you are not missing anything.  Paint select does work in Parametric designs (and I'm fairly certain that it works the same way in Direct Modeling).  Yes, you have to be over open space to do any kind of "mass selection"  in Fusion (window select, paint select, freeform select).  This is because a drag operation that starts over an object is interpreted as a component drag operation.  This is needed for designs with joints, so you can quickly test the motion of a mechanism just by dragging.

For a while, we had an option to allow you to choose between component drag and select drag, but that was proving too confusing, so we took that out.

Hope this is at least somewhat clear.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4
LMD001
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hello Jeff,

Apparently in PM when holding shift Paint Select is selecting the faces, in DM you do not need to hold shift.

Thanks for the explanation.

Best regards,

Ludo

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

@jeff_strater wrote:
.. Yes, you have to be over open space to do any kind of "mass selection"  in Fusion ...

That is unfortunate.  I have a situation where I need to select a bunch of faces that are interior to the silhouette of the body, so there is no open space for me to start the selection.

interior.png

All I can think of is to Ctrl-click on every single one of the facets, but I inevitably move the mouse a tiny bit while clicking on one of them, and that cancels the selection & drags the body to a new position instead.  Is there an alternate method to do this now that it is 2020?

Chris Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report