Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset series of Lines and Curves..?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mail8YLTP
304 Views, 8 Replies

Offset series of Lines and Curves..?

I am trying to work out the best way to create a 3D printed spring that is extruded from a flat 2D series of S shapes. I started by creating 5 circles and then a line tangential to each one, then cut the inner curves. The problem started when I tried to select all the lines and offset them to 0.25mm one both sides of the line. I would only allow me to select 2 lines and a curve at a time then finally cap the ends so that I could extrude it. Is there a way of connecting sketch nodes to make one polyline? It was very long winded selecting each section and offsetting on each side if the line. I would assume there must be an easier way? My picture shows my methodology and at the resultant shape. 

mail8YLTP_0-1695070273485.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
g-andresen
in reply to: mail8YLTP

Hi,

Please share the Basic file

günther

Message 3 of 9
jeff_strater

I think the problem is these white dots in your center set of curves:

mail8YLTP_0-1695070273485.png

Those indicate that the lines and arcs are not connected.  Offset will chain connected curves, but will stop if it does not find a connected curve.  Use the Coincident constraint to connect them.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 9
mail8YLTP
in reply to: jeff_strater

Yep thanks for that, I should have known better. I put tangential constraints on each line and that sorted it. 

mail8YLTP_0-1695072124611.png

Message 5 of 9
laughingcreek

sometimes it's easier to use simpler sketches.  for instance from this sketch-

laughingcreek_0-1695072993731.png

you can get this-

laughingcreek_1-1695073015006.png

most of the work is done in the modeling space.

Message 6 of 9
mail8YLTP
in reply to: laughingcreek

That looks interesting, can you attach your file please so I can work it out easier...
Message 7 of 9
etfrench

Thin extrude would be easier than using offsets:

etfrench_1-1695079666389.png

This was started with a slot.  Dimensions were added. One arc deleted and one added.  To complete the spring use a rectangular pattern.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
laughingcreek

@mail8YLTP wrote:
That looks interesting, can you attach your file please so I can work it out easier...

here you go.  I meant to attach it before.  this was just a first go, I would likely work out something a bit more elegant if I put some thought into it. 

Message 9 of 9
mail8YLTP
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thank you...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report